IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have any URB reports, say from St Helens up to chinook landing. Any reports would be appreciated.
tight lines , mike

[ 08-05-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: fish-on ]

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Sill a bit early. I usually start fishing for them the week prior to Labor Day. Run usually peaks aroung the 10th -15th of September.

Only 500 or so over the dam the past few days.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fish-on,

Been puttering around near the Sandy but ultra slow for me, not sure what other folks have done or observed.. We should start getting over 1,000 a day about now.

Col1=2001
Col2=2002

8/10 955 1090
8/11 1098 941
8/12 949 1162
8/13 726 1002
8/14 628 772
8/15 408 1053
8/16 501 1251
8/17 542 1264
8/18 839 910
8/19 1396 764
8/20 2328 864
8/21 2127 1481
8/22 1967 2939
8/23 1445 6523
8/24 2036 10573

Brion

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, It's dumb question time again from the stupidist guy on Ifish.

What is an URB?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
UpRiverBright

These are the chrome, unclipped salmon that enter the Columbia from now until October. These fish are destined for above Bonneville to spawn

Not to be confused with a slimey Tule, a lower river spawning salmon with low quality meat, but nice eggs.

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks - I know I promised this before but I will try to keep my stupid questions to a minimum.(yeah right)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Originally posted by FWF1:

Not to be confused with a slimey Tule, a lower river spawning salmon with low quality meat, but nice eggs.

You forgot to mention that Tules smell worse than Shad... To me they smell like rusty water pipes!

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
I don't know what the gillnet seasons were in 2001-02, however, this year their first season runs through the August 12th. So that will help keep numbers of available fish depressed, until several days after the season ends.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Conspiracy Theory the only dumb question is one that is not asked :grin:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys , keep them comming! I was out this morning , I had one good hard take down and that was all that i saw in my area, I was up around the 205 area along the island. looks like the counts are on their way up despite the nets being in.
take care and tight lines, mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Question, how can you tell a tule from a urb unless you actually clean them and then find the meat to be white instead of red?...
Also, are they really that bad?

Fish on and save some for me. I will be there the end of September.
Romeo

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
AZ-Tules look like a soreback salmon AKA Spawn out salmon...Really dark, have a golden color to them, if not black. You will even get them like that out in the ocean.
Yes, very nice eggs in them though. Most tules are hogs, put up one nice fight but yes they do smell bad.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Watch for an huge adipose fin as well. Bucks will have a huge adipose, hens are a little more difficult, but they usually have a large adipose as well.

Another thing is that they are not bright at all. Sexually they are more mature and closer to spawning. The more mature they are, the easier they are to identify. A mature male will look gold color.

For shape, they often resemble a football, where as the URB's are very often sleak.

IMHO, they fight harder than a URB and are more aggresive. Last year over half the fish I caught were tule's. Back in the drink. :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ahh... Makes sense. A few years back me and my little bro did pretty good on the Kalama and we came home with three nice nookies. They were all really nice fish but one was a little more golden than the rest. When we got them all cleaned out, that sucker was white instead of the usual red.
Needless to say, we gave it to my uncle... :grin: He liked it and everyone was happy.

Speaking of tanner creek, when is it a good time to fish up there for the tules if ever?
I want to catch me some hogs even if they stink.
I will be up there the 25 thru the 29 of September and I am looking to slay me a fish or to...

Fish on and thanks.
Romeo

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
a good time to hit tanner creek in oct.15 (when the mouth of the creek opens). it is what you would call combat fishing. bobber and eggs. the fish are dark, but good fighters and great eggs. be careful not to set your bobber to deep because oversized sturgeon will pick up your bait. good way to burn up a real.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts