IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was telling me a story the other day. He took his teenage son out to try and get a buck. Here on the west side. They were hunting on public land. They stopped to glass an area and spotted a little buck with a doe.
It was a considerable distance, so they decided to watch it for a while. It worked its way closer over some time. It was now within shooting distance, but the wind was nasty. My friend told his son to wait until the wind calmed a little so that he could make a good clean shot / kill.
As they sat watching the deer, who was not aware of them and was not going anywhere, a van pulled up above them on the road. A couple of guys got out and started looking in the same direction as my friend and his son.
They got a gun out and started to rest across the hood. My friend confronted them and asked what they were doing. They said they were going to shoot the deer if he was not going to. My buddy explained that they had been working on the buck for a couple hours and that his son wanted to kill the deer as soon as the wind calmed. He asked them to please leave and let his son get a shot at the deer. Part of his point was that they would have never probably seen the deer had they not spotted my buddy spotting it. They got in the van and drove a few yards ahead. Sat a few minutes, and got back out. Next thing you know, they were shooting at the buck!!!! :shrug: They hit it and it went into the brush.
My friend had a few *#@!^%?<*** words at them, :argue: and left as they just stood there with a stupid look. Like they did not understand why he was upset.
Do people need a little forked horn buck so bad that they have to take it out from under a kid who was trying to hunt it the ethical way ??????
Those kind of hunters just make me SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
24,199 Posts
the moral to the story, in clear cut country,the odds of running into these yahoo's is much higher, than in other hunting areas.but i see them everywhere.the three b's, bubba,bubba and beer. or how about this picture, the three 350lb white guys get out of the pickup, wareing wallmart camo coveralls,why. they never get more than 50yds from the cooler.the 4 b's, big bubbas with beer.i'm sorry to hear your story, but it is a fact of life in our hunting world.

· Registered
13,100 Posts
A deer doesnt have a name on it till the tag is attached by the shooter. What these guys did was completely legal, but pretty low after the dad had already talked to them. :depressed:

Sounds like bubba may have been about 16 himself (at least between the ears :wink: )

I have done some great elk hunting with competition and who ever gets there first and drops the bull is the winner, but when it comes to a kid and a forky, I just couldnt shoot the buck out from under him knowing he was waiting.

My advise to the dad is to, learn from the situation, and move the kid into position rather than waiting for the position to move to him. In a couple hours he could have gone a long ways in getting closer to make the kill. Waiting always opens up "things" to happen.

· Registered
8,641 Posts
Man I feel for you, I seen a similar thing happen. I hope your son understands that some guys have no ethics or maybe they were raised with no manners. :cheers:

· Registered
757 Posts
I know how you feel! The same thing happened to me last year. Bubba and his daughter walk up as I am preparing to shoot. I ask them to get down so I can shoot this deer. Bubba runs up and starts "glassing" with his scope. I see the deer again and prepair for the shot. Bang, bang, cuss, cuss, Bubbas BAR is jammed. Reloads and unloads a full clip on the deer. "I think I hit it!" I ask where in the heck is the deer so I can put it out of its missery. "I am not sure I think it is over there." I asked him to take me to the spot where he got his last volley off. 450yds latter we are there! So lets see, Bubba shoots off hand with a 7mm Bar with 175gr's. First shot @ 175yds. Last volley @ 500yds. I doubt he hit squat. Then he thanks me for letting him hunt with me, Yah Right!

I am sorry your son witnessed this.

Yeti

· Registered
292 Posts
From what I read of your story, it sounds like the 'bubba's' in the truck actually shot from the roadway. That's illegal in Oregon. You should have turned them in to the OSP...maybe that would have given you a little after the fact satisfactin. Those kind of guys make me sick!

· Banned
967 Posts
That sucks. I feel sorry for the kid.

I was in the Ochoco's deer hunting a few years ago and there was this dad and his kid hunting the same area as me. I spotted this small forky and went and got the kid who was up the hill from me. I took him down to where the deer was and let him shoot it. Sure I could have killed the little buck but I wanted the kid to get one because I remember the big time competativness of whitetail deer hunting where I grew up in Pa. and how all the young hunters such as myself felt not having a chance in hell against the older guys. I never did kill a deer that year but I still have the memory of that kids smile after he dumped it. That is what it's all about!!

· Registered
6,426 Posts
This is my first year hunting with a bow and I love it! I have never killed anything with my bow nor have I shot at anything yet.

Well...Early archery season, spotted elk in a clearing, the wind was perfect, the wind was noisy and it was a fairly clean cut for an easy stalk...got inside 100 yds. the elk were feeding right to me! Oh it was great!

Next thing I know a 4 wheeler comes zipping down the road and spooks the elk into the trees! Not illegal, but [petunias!] you off alright!

What can you do?

Your situation is a little worse I must say, but crap happens!

· Registered
5,074 Posts
I'll throw a vote in for several items mentioned here:

1. Man, you can't "wait" like that. I'm very sorry to hear the circumstances under which it happened. Even though your buddy let the other party know about it, they didn't legally have to give his son right of 1st refusal. When my son had his first elk in his sights, a spike at about 300 yards, and I debated about whether or not to let him shoot (he had a steady rest), blam! Someone else dropped it.

2. Definitely most likely an illegal shot, if they shot off the hood (you didn't make that clear though, if they did or not on the actual shot) or while standing on the road. I wouldn't have hesitated to turn them in on that. BTW, I hope your buddy and son were off the shoulder as well.

3. That's why I hunt in road closure areas. No ATV's and no slob hunters. Whether on the east or west side of the state, you just can't beat roadless or road closure areas for filtering out about 90% of the bad stuff that can happen where vehicles have direct access.

My sympathies,
Biederboat

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Thats Just a bunch of Bull, That people would even do that. I know two wrongs dont make it right But something like that
I would have myself a little Justice

· Registered
256 Posts
A young/new hunter needs to see the other examples too. I hate to see this happen. I see it a lot on SI east side, a hunter with a kid always gets the first call/shot with me. I have always thought highly of older guys that have given me the first shot at a rooster/duck/deer etc. I have always though lowly of the jerks that deny a young hunter the first shot/chance.

If that kid didn't get a buck this year, ask his dad to PM me.

· Banned
2,641 Posts
sucks, but would your buddy be any less upset if another hunter had stalked that deer and whacked it while he was waiting for it to come to him?

sad to hear, but bucks are hard enough to come by without people calling "dibs" on ones that are strolling around out in the open for all to see.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
The mentality of lets all shoot at it and then run to it and the first to get there gets the animal is what made me quit rifle elk hunting...
It all come down to common courtesy, some have it and most do not.
From some of the responses i have read i feel sorry for you because that is not hunting. Lets shoot at it 500 yards away so i can get a bullet in to the animal before you...

Sorry that this happened, at least the boy didn't shoot it and have somebody take it from him...

· Registered
1,612 Posts
That's why I do not hunt on public land any more. Go to private land or travel deep into the wilderness areas to get away from some of those type hunters.

· Registered
8,861 Posts
Yep :yeahthat:

The Dad should have said,

Hey ! Don't shoot that deer, There two state bulls over there. That deer is a Robbi Deer.

I went to buy a popcycle out of a machine once while I was in the Navy. After I put the money into the slot a guy came up and said he got shocked from it. So naturally I didn't try to take the Ice Cream out.

I turned later to see him grab it.

Sometimes you have to play it smart.

Those two clowns were a pair of Jackasses.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.