IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheesh...it must have been hot. I got two nice ones out by myself. 12 lber and an 18 lber.

This should be an ad for BC Angling. I went in and got two of their prawn spinner rigs, a box of their cured prawns, the crazy red ones. The young lady picked out two small spinner blades, both small, chartruse and white. You can put any kind of spinner on the prawn rig.

These prawn rigs are really good for rookies. You can't mess it up.

I had 6 oz. lead on, 18 inch lead line, 4 foot leader line.

So...motored down to the West Linn ramp area in about 20 feet of water. I had two in about 40 minutes...now what do I do?

Ran into Julie Cates and Todd of Julie's Guide Service. They limited out a couple customers up in the Garbage Hole bouncing eggs...and took the pix for me. Saw a lot of folks with fish so it looks good.

Brion

·
Registered
698 Posts
Great fish Brion! I stopped at BC's today too and got some prawns and went to Meldrum at about 1:00 I then put to use FWF1's "plunking prawn spinners" instructions from yesterdays post.I was helping my buddy get his gear ready when my bell went off. I looked up to see my 12'Lami Sturgeon pole bent like it had a boat hung up on it ! Was a fish! and I had the drag set too tight :depressed: got there in time to set the hook which I didn't need to do and about the 2nd pull snap went the line. Sooo..... rigged back up and threw out again . bell goes off again! :grin: this time I was a little hesitant about reefing hard on this fish . It felt good and got it to within about 10' of shore before it spit the rig back at me ! :smile: Oh well...I think I am going to go to 50lb leaders! I saw lots of fish boated out in front of the bar late , one boat (two men and their sons) boated 5 that I saw in about an hour.And yes the two little guys reeled in 2 themselves :grin: Thanks again to FWF1 for the great post.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LandShark,

That current is so fast there even a small fish would be a battle. When I ran into Julie Cates, I had my trolling motor full on and was just staying in one spot.

50 lb test sounds heavy duty but I'd check with FWF1 on the rig. Sounds like he gave you the killer rig setup.

They say you can land'em even with light tackle so it's probably a case of setting the drag correctly.

The area seems hot right now. I was only there a few hours, 3-7Pm, and saw a good number of fish caught.

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skeezer,

If "mgd" is some sort of malt beverage...could be...Julie's customer is holding the fish up for the pic and he goes to rinse them off and lets both of them go into the water. Yo!! Dude!!

Todd grabs the net and wades in...Eyow! It is 50 degree water. He gets the fish back.

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to mention the timing.

This was about 2:30 to about 6:30PM. One of the guys I was fishing next to said that the bite has been hot at slack tide in the PM.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Nice when two happen that quick. Congrats.

One other thing tho..Mos of us here consider the "Upper Willamette" to be the stretch of the river "Upstream" from the falls. You've been in the "Lower" Willamette. Hate to see you tag your fish wrong.

Mark

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FishinMission,

I'll start calling it the upper lower Willamette <grin>.

Brion
PS Your avatar is broken. No pic just a red X. It might look OK to you if it's referencing an icon on your PC.

[ 04-30-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CastNBlast,

I've fished in the O.C. area before and only on anchor w/ hardware. How far a run is it down to where you were fishing? Are those prawn spinners easy to rig and were you on anchor? Thanks a bunch. Thinking of trying after work tonight or tomorrow.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If I can do the prawn spinners, anybody can do them. Very easy to rig up. Ask the folks at BC Angling and they'll show you everything. BC Angling is in the shopping center across from Clackamette Park with Fisherman's.

I was down near the West Linn launch ramp which I'd guess is a mile(?) downriver. I think any area with 20 feet of water would be good, a place for the fish to hang out out of the current. I saw folks catching fish in a similar area downriver of the Sellwood Bridge.

There's a spot right across from Meldrum bar that I think looks good for this.

This is not an anchor fishing technique, you need to troll it very slowly and back bounce which is a cool way to fish because you feel the fish hit. You feel a nibble (is that a nibble?!), give the fish some line by pointing the rod at them and then pull back firmly (not a huge pull) and see if you've got fish...or an overactive imagination or...a snag. I lost one rig to a snag after I caught the first fish.

Brion

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I was gonna comment on the "upper" part of that title, but someone else beat me to it.

I'd consider this area by salem as being somewhat "upper", but from describing your locale, i figured it out :grin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts