IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my first trip back to the Willamette since I stopped going in August because of the wakeboard boats. I really envy you guys who can somehow fishing effectively surrounded by so much turmoil.

After launching at sunup, I was shocked to see that the river level was as high as it was this spring. And the low flow rate gave me the feeling of fishing on a giant beautiful lake. It was great!

The fishing was iffy though. I’m determined to learn fall patterns after a disappointing fall last year. The fish were scattered and shy. Could have been because of the clear water, clear sky, high pressure and/or a night of full moon feeding light.

I got a large mouth right off the bat at sun up and that was it for my top water efforts. I found a few deeper than I usually fish, on steep drop-offs and underwater structure. The bites were very timid. Hard to tell good fish from a dink, bite wise. Only got one nice smallie in the boat and lost several. Apparently I need to loosen by drag or check the condition of my terminal tackle. My hook broke in two during one set (how can that happen) and I broke off a leader on another.

Nice to be back bassin’. Looking forward to some fall pattern discussions at the luncheon on the October 4th.

Mike

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The fishing was iffy though.The fish were scattered and shy. Could have been because of the clear water, clear sky, high pressure and/or a night of full moon feeding light.
You pretty much answered your own question. The Willy in fall is always iffy depending on all of the factors you have listed. The best time to fish it is when it is rainy or at least overcast. If you go back to the post from last fall that TheCrease made you will see that he rarely fished on a nice day and for good reason.

Apparently I need to loosen by drag or check the condition of my terminal tackle. My hook broke in two during one set (how can that happen) and I broke off a leader on another.
Well I know you know how to tie your knots so my guess is just bad line. I would replace it before going back out.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Mike, for me fall smallie fishing is a current/structure affair. 10-20ft underwater reefs are gold.
Drop shot or send down a tube and WHAM.

I bet the topwater LM was cool. See ya Thursday at the Bucketheads lunch.
I'll raz ya then about the Hank Parker hooksets.:laugh:
Hunt'nFish

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reason that the fishing has been slow on the Willamette as of lately is the exact reason you listed, but maybe not the one you might expect..... lack of current. It has been a bit of a tough bite lately for sure, but it's been killer when the sun has been shinning. Kind of in a strange transitional period bite recently. Give her a week or two more, get some current going to stir the forage up and get the water temp to drop a couple more degrees to ecourage the final pre-winter feeding frenzy, and that amazing mid to late fall Willamette bite we've all been waiting for shall come into effect. It's almost gauranteed!

Good fishin,
Matt

·
Registered
175 Posts
I live on the Upper Willamette and cannot stand those wakeboard boats...everytime one goes by, a whole bunch of the shoreline erodes.

Can't be too good for the fish or habitat and I hate that rap music blaring from a half mile away.

Fish early!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts