IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow i-fishers,
I know I am supposed to tell a good fishin' story for my first post, but I'm still working on it. I'm sure I will manage to do something stupid in the next month. Anyway, I was wondering if there are decent salmon/steelhead opportunities in the upper Sandy/Salmon River area near Brightwood and if they are accessible. I am heading up there this weekend. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to those that respond to this, and thanks to all i-fishers who have given me excellent advice/info. in the past.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glad you asked. I haven't fished that area in years, 'cause it was closed above Marmot dam. Check the regs, I think it still is closed to Salmon/Steelhead fishing.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yes. The Sandy and all tributaries above Marmot Dam is closed to salmon and steelhead - year round. The area is open for catch and release trout fishing through 10/31 using artificial flies or lures. When open for trout, you can keep any brook trout - no size restrictions or limit. I would not expect a lot of steelhead up there this time of year - very few "wild" summers pass the dam since the Sandy does not have a native summer steelhead run. Spring Chinook should be spawning (or already spawned) - so should be left alone anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts