IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hauling my girls up to camp at Olallie Creek on the upper McKenzie. I have never been anywhere close. Does anyone care to share places and/or techniques to find some action with a flyrod or spinning rod???? Any cool hikes close by? Thanks in advance for any help-- I promise to report back next week. :whazzup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's nice up there but it's fast water with a lot of overe hanging trees. There are spots to get a fly line out though. The McKenzie river trail is up there and it is your best bet. Walk a section and fish it. There are some big fish. Little presure. I've used dry flies like something big and caught fish. There are some bull trout out there to 10 pounds! Can't keep them. Sorry I don't know more, have fun.

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Check your map for the coolest hike on the upper McKenzie, the trail that leads up to the "Blue Hole", upstream of the uppermost impoundment -forget what that lake is called right now.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Go to Belknap Springs, it's a resort. You can walk across a bridge there. Walk downstream past the cabin and start fishing. There used to be a logjam hole with some fish in it, fish the other side of the rock. If you hit it when it is hot you can put a lot of fish on deck. I nyph fish 99% of the time but this is the Mac and I'm sure they will come up for some drys. Don't be surprised to see some Salmon, Steelhead, or Bulls in the hole. There are fish in the fast water too. Don't try to cross it's too swift, went for a swim there once.

Have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts