IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5-Cent, I do believe that the record brookie came out of Little Lava.

I have heard the Deschutes just below Wickiup holds some nice fish. The river across from SunRiver holds nice browns too. I have not fished it much, but have seen many boats trolling Rapalas in the section between Big River campground and SunRiver. I would think a rainbow trout pattern would work. One morning I watched a brown chase a little rainbow. The water started to boil and froth just prior to a little 6” rainbow jumping multiple times out of the water trying to escape the ensuing brown.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I can attest to the big browns that FRG is talking about. I used to fish with one friend who really liked to fish the river between the Lava Lands Visitor Center (I think that's what it's called, on Hwy97 between Bend and Sunriver) and up past Sunriver resort a ways. I have caught some browns around 20" and have seen some that were way bigger. We used to use floating or neutral Rapalas in rainbow trout pattern. I think these were the 3" version. Cast upstream and rip them back down along undercut banks and others sources of cover. Don't be afraid of a real fast retrieve.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Try floating from Wickiup Dam down to Bull Bend. Floating rapalas in black and silver or gold or rainbow. Cast to the bank upstream of the logs in the water and twitch the rapala as it floats along the log. Easy safe float even for a novice, bring extra rapalas as you will lose some.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
can you fish from your boat in that stretch? (Wickiup to Bull bend)

·
Registered
399 Posts
A long time ago I was talking with someone who said that he has had good success on troph trout in the uppper Dechutes river, around the Cascade lakes area using small rapalas and other small stick baits. My question is what sizes and colors work best for those fish and what kind of water should I look for? Thanks

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I used to flyfish the upper Deschutes above Crane but that was a long time ago. There are some nice brook trout in the river. If I am not mistaken the state record brook trout came out of the river up there. It is a very small stream. Hike and get away from the road. Perfect for flyfishing or casting small spinners or spooons like roostertails or daredevils.

:cheers:

·
Registered
399 Posts
what lure most closely represents a chub?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts