IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press Release from Tillamook County Sherrif's Office

This morning at 07:26 US Coast Guard, Tillamook Bay, reported that the fishing vessel named Taki-Tooo capsized at the bar of Tillamook Bay. The rescue operation is still active. There are 9 passengers confirmed deceased. Eight patients were transported to Tillamook County General Hospital, and two passengers are still missing.

When the vessel left Garibaldi marina this morning, there were 17 passengers on board, one boat operator, and one deck hand.

Refer Under Sherriff Terry Huntsman
Tillamook Country Sheriff's Office
Updated at 11:12 AM

...and then there is the hearsay from the checker at ODFW:
The captain's name was Douglas Davis, and the deck hand, Tammy Buell, was reported as alive. Three other charter boats are out, ahead of him, and crossed the bar without incident.

Earlier witness report:

Pete is camping at Bar View and just called.

There is a terrible accident happening.

It was reported the "Tackitoo" went down with 19 people aboard.

Anyway, 1/2 dozen ambulances, dozens of fire trucks, helicopters and reported, 9 dead.

My heart is wrenched. :depressed: Pete has his daughter, and he can't go down there, and doesn't want to. I guess they are laying out the bodies. :depressed:

Jen

[ 06-14-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the latest report. Remember, this isn't fact until reported by the authorities. This is all hearsay.

7 walking
6 dead
5 still missing.

Jen

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Sad Sad day, I hate to hear this!

3,877 Posts
Jenny, this is so sad. Did this happen as they were crossing the bar?

I will say a prayer for the families. :depressed:

·
Registered
676 Posts
omg so sorry to hear this terriable news have been out on her many times over the years and has always been a top notch run boat my heart goes out to the loved ones of this disaster and pray for those that have not been found :bowdown:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Terrible news. The story will unfold and we will all learn a lesson from this, but right now all we can do is keep the families of those involved in our hearts....

So, so sad.

Skein

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
KGW in Portland has confirmed from Coast Guard sources that a 32' Charter Boat has gone down. No further confirmed details available. 3 helicopters and all available CG craft are on scene.

Rusty

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's all the report that I have.
I'm going to the fin clipping now.

Just keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers. I am horrified. :depressed:

Pete called and said the ocean is breaking all the way across, several times. Not a pretty bar to cross.

Keep all of your opinions about "why and how" to yourself until we know the facts, please. This is no time to preach that "they shouldn't have" etc...

Please don't go there, OK? Just join in with positive prayers and support for those that are in need.
Thanks,

Jen

[ 06-14-2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
:depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This is NOT looking good. :depressed: :hoboy:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
:depressed: so sad to hear :depressed: my heart goes out to the families

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Here is what the news has so far.

BREAKING NEWS: Fishing boat capsizes off Ore. coast, at least several dead
06/14/2003

By kgw.com and AP Staff

Several people are believed dead after a charter fishing boat carrying 19 people capsized off the Oregon coast Saturday morning, officials said.

The U.S. Coast Guard says a rescue operation is underway and 16 people are accounted for.

The 32-foot Taki Tooo fishing boat capsized as it sailed out of Tillamook Bay.

Three helicopters and two life boats are searching for the other three people in 15-foot surf near the mouth of Tillamook Bay, said Coast Guard Commander Patrick Brennan.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Very Sad! :depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts