IFish Fishing Forum banner

What should I expect/do to correct this?

• Demand YOUR motor back and let them figure it out?

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Just switch motors and go with the flow.

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need your opinions on what to do/expect

About 4 weeks ago I bought a 1986 Johnson 6.0hp motor off Craig’s List and got a pretty good deal. It fired up on the first pull and I know that for at least 5 years it was not used and in storage. The years it was used, it was lightly used. See ifish poll asking if I got a good deal. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=162096

Since this motor was new to me, I wanted to have a professional take a look at the motor and check it out. My thought is if I am going to be duck hunting with this, I want to make sure I get back to the dock. So I dropped it off at Oregon City Marina to have them check it out. They had it for about 3 ½ weeks when last Friday at 5:50pm I got a call saying it was ready to be picked up. I rushed down to pick it up by 6:05pm and pay my $154.00 for labor and parts as I wanted to enter my boat into the Oregon Waterfowl Festival the next morning.

I brought the motor home, pulled out my camo stencils and went to town with the rattle cans. I put a sweet camo paint job on the motor that matched my boat. I brought the boat/motor to the Oregon Waterfowl Festival and got lots of great feedback.

JUST A MOMENT AGO…Oregon City Marina called me and wants the motor back as they gave me someone else’s motor!!!! OMG! I am not sure what to think. They told me the one I have is somebody else’s and it is not working and is still missing a part. I don’t know anything about this motor’s past history….

They guy started to say that since I painted it, he would just let us swap motors…? I don’t like the sound of that at all as I just don’t know the history or heck even the year of the motor. It seems to me that it’s their mistake and I shouldn’t have to give up my motor for their mistake? What do you folks think should happen and what should I expect to make this right?

Regards,

Jim O'Leary

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Re: Oregon City Marina gave me back the wrong motor???

They screwed up I agree. I do not think that you should have to suffer because of their mistake. You can maybe agree to consider this swap after you have another company verify the runnings and/or problems with the motor they wish to give you. Or just yell lawyer and see what goodies they can tempt you with. Good luck!!! :bigshock:

· Registered
1,733 Posts

If you want your motor back, then that is what you should get. It will be up to them to repaint the motor and compensate the other guy. Plus, they should compensate you for your paint costs. You are not the one that botched the deal. You should not get less than the satisfaction you had expected had they not made a mistake.

· Registered
246 Posts

Unfortunately the Marine service industry in the local area has come to a point where they feel we should be happy to give them our money service is not even a consideration. Demand your motor and let them fix the paint and deal with the other customer. It is unfortunate that it is coming to this but in order to get service or repair you have to make an appointment 2-6 weeks out and then they will get to it at a later time, what is the purpose of the appointment. Then they wonder why so many of us want to complete the maintenance ourselves.

Jim Harmon

· Registered
197 Posts

iF THEY BALK AT MAKING THEIR MISTAKE RIGHT, TELL THEM YOU WILL TAKE YOUR STORY TO THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION!:smash:

· Registered
3,664 Posts

If that's not your motor, you have no right to keep it. It's up to OCM to make things right with you via buying paint and compensating you for your time (pickup & drop off of the motor, painting & any installation) to replace what you have put into getting the motor ready.

They'll need to make things right for the other owner as well but that's none of your business.

· Registered
377 Posts

Did you paint the whole motor or just the cowling? If just the cowling, then maybe swap just the cowlings? If the whole thing, I'd want the get "my" motor back, and let them deal with the "other" customer. I don't think I'd squabble too much about the costs you incurred. It was likely an honest mistake. If they pitch a bunch of crap at you, then I'd start playing hard-ball.

· Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Oregon City Marina gave me back the wrong motor-Problem solved!

Quick update! I was able to get my motor back no questions or issues. It was a simple mix-up. I am sure they will do right by the guy who now has a camo motor. If he duck hunts...he has a sweet camo job...if not...well I guess OCM will be repainting his motor.

I didn't ask for any other compensation or reimbursement. I just wanted my motor and I am happy with the way it worked out!

· Registered
14,116 Posts
:agree: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh Jim.......That's funny and sucks all at the same time.
What are the odds of that happening?!?!
Sure a good thing we didn't get wild hair to go take it for a spin huh??
Moral...trust no one. jot down the s/n and check it on pickup.
Hunt'nFish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.