IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
38,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you folks going to start planting and what are you planting? Seems I always get some things in the ground too late so needs some ideas.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,206 Posts
I ordered my pepper, tomatillo and cucumber plants this week. But I won't pick them up until early May.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I start tomato and pepper seeds inside in "clamshell" cookie containers around the 1st of March. Transplant them after they "hit the roof" and put them in 2 or 3" pots to grow. I set them out in mid May.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Last year, the neighbor gave me an extra cucumber "start" that was four times bigger than mine. I jokingly asked did you start it in January?! She smiled and said pretty close. I will be starting seeds as soon as the waterfowl gear is put away. Right now, I am thinking 4 tomatoes, 3 peppers, 2 zuke, 2 cukes & at least 2 butternuts. I've had issues with some critter chomping the tops off my bean plants as soon as they get two leaves so I will also start them indoors but not for a while.

I bought 100 yellow onion bulbs. Can those be planted in March?

·
Registered
38,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeper... Yea, onions, beets, carrots, whatever. Not starts we'll put in the ground later.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Keeper, your bean problem is the same as mine & its voles.
I replanted 3x and those little vermin ate all three plantings. I trapped 8 of those things last spring/summer and no noticeable slow down on those things. Mouse traps are you weapon of choice. Look on YouTube for answers.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Last year, the neighbor gave me an extra cucumber "start" that was four times bigger than mine. I jokingly asked did you start it in January?! She smiled and said pretty close. I will be starting seeds as soon as the waterfowl gear is put away. Right now, I am thinking 4 tomatoes, 3 peppers, 2 zuke, 2 cukes & at least 2 butternuts. I've had issues with some critter chomping the tops off my bean plants as soon as they get two leaves so I will also start them indoors but not for a while.

I bought 100 yellow onion bulbs. Can those be planted in March?

I had the same problem last year. Realized we had a bunny romping around from yard to yard.

I went to the fabric store and bought 15 yards of netting. Cut it to fit the cattle panel lengths I use for the beans to climb. Once I placed it around the cattle panel the bunny couldn't get to the plants.

It was a pretty easy, inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We used to have pretty big in the ground gardens. These days we use four pretty large galvanized "water troughs". They work well, you do not have to bend over to work on plants, Gopher proof, more insect resistant than planting in the ground, the soil gets warmed by the Sun which accelerates growth. They are great or growing on decks.
Early each Spring I do a top dressing of compost, seaweed powder, trace minerals and, oyster shell flower and work in.

·
Registered
856 Posts
New to the seed game:

I bought the 30 dollar bi mart green house shelf. I plan to sprout seeds of kale, beets, spinach, leeks, peas, cabbage, and broccoli to then transplant into the raised beds first, as I think they are somewhat cold tolerant. And then maybe a month later I will try and sprout some cukes, tomatoes, and peppers, aiming for a late April/early May timing in the ground. Maybe even just direct sow the squashes. Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time finding Bok Choy seeds in the stores... Seems to be a popular item this year. I can find online but prefer to buy in the store. If anyone hasn't tried Sho****o Peppers they are awesome, They say like 1 in 5 are hot. These are the best peppers I have had... Put them in a wok with a little oil and char them and they are good to go.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a giant artichoke plant that has survived probably 10 years. Not even comparable to store bought ones. Usually yields 30'is good ones. Glad the neighbors like them too.

Other than that, always plant several different tomatoes. Don't know why when there are always 50 or so volunteers that pop up. Several different types of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and beets.

Love the fresh zucchini, cucumbers and butternut squash but they always seem to take over the garden and get away from us. Always say that I wont plant them again but always do. Don't forget some Walla Walla onions and garlic. I typically get things all in around the beginning of May.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Romaine lettuce that we really like called "Crisp Mint", normally a catalog order only, was at West Salem ACE Hardware Saturday. It's Territorial packaging, but not in their 2021 catalog.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Got my annual seed order from Territorial a few weeks ago. Already started my tomatoes and peppers. Have some lettuce out in the cold frame that I'll be picking in a few weeks. It's doing surprisingly well. Need to send a soil sample to be tested so I know how to amend . Then plant the peas in March, if it's not too muddy.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My beans last year were cut off by cutworms. Were a lot in the ground. I run raised beds, and lots of squirrels and roof rats in the neighborhood. So I installed electric fencing. On top of the fence so they stay away from the fruit trees and runs two hots and a ground wire on the top of the raised beds 2x12 side boards. Seems to stop the rodents. Before they got the basil, beets, etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well....cold frame experiment.may have been a little early in the season..
But it works! 23 degrees at the house this morning.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts