IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt that everyone has already heard of the tragic train accident at the Fisheries on Saturday. We were just tying up to the anchor after releasing our 7th peeler when we heard a loud collision and then train brakes. I said a silent prayer and hoped that it was not what I suspected. Unfortunately, it was indeed a vehicle that had been hit.

We walked down the tracks to see the wreckage. Every step of the way and every truck part that we saw spread along the tracks was very sobering. Seeing the driver pulled out of the twisted metal was extremely sad and unforgetable. I just hope that everyone who hears of this tragedy gives more respect to railroad crossings. I certainly know that I will.

My prayers go out to the two families and friends of these fellow fishermen.

On a lighter note, the fishing was AMAZING!!! We could only have two of our four rods out for shad because they were biting like crazy. Then we proceeded to bring seven 8'+ peelers to the boat. Two were over 10', and three of them breached multiple times!!

My only fear is that future days on the Columbia will pale in comparison to that day of fishing.

[ 05-28-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: powerstrokincowboy ]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Prayer's to the familie's.

Rail crossing's are dangerous w/light's or not.
I have seen to many over the year's as a firefighter.

have good day fishen Arch

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Cowboy, what type of boat were you in, we were up there Saturday and Monday, blue and white Sylvan, we also did really well. My wife and 13 year old daughter had their first experience with a 10' on Saturday, then Monday we had an awesome day, we started at 8:30 and within five minutes all three rods were getting bit, we ended up going down to one rod for oversize and two for smaller fish, we didn't want to take a chance on hooking two oversize at the same time. We did catch one very nice 60" fish on Monday, that was quite a fight on salmon gear! Anyway, we are there just about every weekend through June, stop by and say Hi if you get a chance, we will be the ones dodging anchor ropes and boats! :grin:

Scott

·
Registered
832 Posts
Cowboy,I was there saturday also, in the red jetcraft that anchored right above you guys just out from the eddy in the afternoon and then you guys moved upriver from us about 300 yards. Every time I look over you guys were floating away again. We called you guys the duckhunters. So I would say to the guys the duckhunters are floating again. Well we did get one o/s but we also would have had 5 keepers if it would've been open. When are you going back? I will be there on June 7th. That train wreck kinda ruined the trip it was very sad. Well hope to see you there again.
DM

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Geek, I have one on each side of the boat! I guess I could put one on the bow and the stern??
:grin:
We will be back on the 7th. See you up there.

Scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey DM,

Yup, we had a heck of a day. I think that we are heading down again this Saturday. I know that my dad and brother are going for sure, but I may need to stay home and finish some school projects -- back in school at 33 -- what the hell was I thinking??

Anyways, if you see us, say hello. And good luck on the peelers. Other than those seven big lady gators, we only had one or two good keeper size fish and a few shakers.

Tight lines,
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts