IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone inform me as to where the nearest launch is at Underwood? It's been quite awhile since I've been there (and that was with my dad) so I'd like to know where I'm headed. I'll be coming from the East (out of Goldendale).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
It's dependent on the boat you're in. By far the closest one that you're allowed to use (unless you're a tribal member) is Hood River, good facility, etc....however, if the wind starts crankin, it can be really ugly getting back across. Most people I know run out of there. I believe there's a launch on up on the Washington side at Bingen?, this would allow you to stay on one side of the river.

Decent boat, or ready to run at the first sign of big wind, and it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen guys spend all day up inside Underwood, just because they couldn't get back across to Hood River in their little bathtub boat.

TR

·
Registered
144 Posts
TheRogue is right that there is a launch by Bingen but as us lucky Washingtonians have it it is also for the natives, so Hood river is the closest and if it is blowing be safe.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Best place to put in at is Hood river but I would go across in anything less than a 14 footer with higher sides. Getting across is the hard part if it is blowing. COming back is easy since the wind normally blows upriver. I have done this many times in my 14 ft Lowe deep V, but there are times where it is too windy to cross. Your other option would be if you have a small aluminum boat 12 footer or less. You could walk it down the hill right at the mouth of the river. Much safer that way. Good luck to you.

Sambo

·
Registered
51 Posts
SAMBO, were you at underwood last saturday night trolling flatfish in the dark? Were you rowing and your boat is white with blue letters on it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ive sat there at Hood river and watched some of the local boys in their "bathtub" boats put on a fish catchin clinic....less fortunate does not make a lesser fisherman. Russ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts