IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have promised to take my father-in-law sturgeon fishing this next weekend on the Umpqua...something I have never done before (fish the Umpqua for sturgeon that is). Any suggestions on where to start fishing (I hear around Dean's Creek is good)? Are tides as important here as other places? What kind of bait works best? Thanks in advance for the help.
Nofish

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Start downriver and move up as the tides increase. There's an area called the big bend (just about a mile upriver of Winchester bay) and it's usually good on a strong tide but there's a lot of critters eager to steal your bait if the tide isn't running. You'll see other boats fishing it. There's a channel marker right in the middle of the river. From there head up to the Bridge or The elk viewing area. Either one is good during the middle of tides. Bait should be either sand or mud shrimp, or my buddy has been doing good on anchovies, either one should catch fish.

tc

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you fish the big bend area, anywhere from Buoy 12 upriver to 15 or so, make sure you have spawn netting if you use sand shrimp. A fish finder really helps you there. When I used to fish it the usual technique is finding a deep hole, then anchoring on the upstream flat nearest it. I never really fished much up towards deans creek. If you dont catch anything there by 9AM pull anchor and go to the columbia and catch 30 of them by the end of the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts