IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ifishers! Haven't been on the water in so long I should be locked up in a rubber room with all the withdrawal symptoms I'm having! :sick: The future holds promise though as I have a weeks vacation with the family the 2nd week of September. :dance: The first few days will be spent down by the Umpqua and that is where I need the help. I have never been there let alone fished it. I've been told that will be a good time to be there, now all I need to know is where can a bank bound angler bobber fish down there and have a reasonably good chance at getting into some nice nookie? I'm inquiring about bobber mainly because my father-in-law will be with me and hat is the simplest method to fish with him. Kind of hard to wonder if you got a bite or not if the bobber goes down! :smile: I'm open to other suggestions as well. I also need help from anyone who may know a good place to stay down there. Right now my wife and mother-in-law have us staying in Coos Bay because it's about $60 cheaper per night. Anyone know of a place in Reedsport that would be around $150 or less?? We have our 4 children and my in-laws would be with us as well. Any ideas or input are appreciated! I already know the campgrounds are out as the wife is hoping for someplace nice, maybe even with a hot tub or pool. Oh, and if anyone knows someplace to try for those hyped up smallies down there I'd be open for that too!! :smile: Heck, I may just have to sneak off for a day by myself! :laugh: Thanks for your help and your time folks!! I'll be sure to post the "results" of the trip along with any pics when we get back. God Bless & Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The fishing should be good 2nd week of Sept. Not many people bobber fish for chinook on the Umpqua...but there are some slots near the head of tidewater at Scottsburg that might be good... Most lower Umpqua salmon are caught trolling. Salmon fishing in the lower bay and jetty area will be good then.

For smallmouth bass the area around & above Elkton is best...its mostly a driftboat show but there is bank fishing here & there, too.

Striped bass are also available in tidewater areas and Sept is a good month for them...definitely need a boat.

Reedsport has a 1st class motel...the Salbasgeon Inn...and several other cheaper motels there and in Winchester Bay. No motels in Elkton...nearest upstream are in Sutherlin.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you want to get into Smallmouth head to the Big K Ranch near Elkton. Many guides, and very nice people. Lots of fun...you'll catch them for sure, nooks may be hard to get from the bank right now.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
If I was bankbound I would definitely fish off the rocks that time of year at winchester for silvers and nooks. A lot of people catch them there catcing spinners. Pretty simple way to fish and effective. Ask the local tackle shops and they'll be able to show you the rig there in winchester bay.

tc

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I may be in Reedsport that week fishing and I have a seat in my boat if you are interested. It all depends upon some eye surgery I have to schedule in Sept. Otherwise the fishing from Half-Moon bay and a couple of other spots with spinners should be good by then. Check your e-mail and let me know.
Bucolic Buffalo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts