IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of taking the boys on a float / flish trip on the Umpqua near Elkton. We will have a mix of drift boats and pontoon boats and am looking for some information on where to put in, where to take out, how long a float is it, or if it eaven feasible. Any help woud b greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
i did yellow creek to elkton about a month ago..pretty river, good fishin, with 2 dicey "chutes"..did it in 2 days and w/no headwind (lucky)..next time it will be a three dayer if I don't have the kicker.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I floated last Friday from James Wood to Osprey. Real hot temperature wise but we caught about 150 SM with little effort. Fish were small as expected but we did catch a couple that were around two pounds. Did see several larger fish swimming in the shadow of the boat, but they would't bite. Water was really skinny in a lot of places and I hit a few rocks and had to get out in a couple places to free the boat. I am unfamiliar with the river though so that contributed some.

The folks at Tyee Landing shuttled my rig and didn't suggest taking a drift boat down any other of the drifts they shuttle for. We also saw two steelhead and a good sized salmon. They didn't stick around too long after they saw us.

I know this isn't the bass and panfish page but I assumed this is the type of information you were after.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were looking to just float just a couple of hours but it sounds like it is getting dicey for the mix of boats we have. Any other rivers or floats that we can do in the area?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The Rogue. Another hour+ down the road. PM if you need info.

RF

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
The Rogue. Another hour+ down the road. PM if you need info.

RF
I saw a real pretty Rogue Fall Chinook while at U Save Tackle in Grants Pass today!!

I was a little over 35lbs., after being bled. It was a real pretty Fall fish for here in town. This high cold water must be moving the fish real fast, as this guy was prime!!!

:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help folks. Always a good crowd here.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
I do this river often. I would not do James to Osprey. There are some tricky areas on that run. Also towards the end assuming you figure out which way to go there is a very fast and narrow chute. It's no more than the twice the width of a drift boat. If you don't get it right heading in, you'll have some exciting times.

The run you want is just outside of Elkton. The put in is called the "slide hole" It's not a ramp, but a steep slope that you send your boat down on and guide it with rope. It works pretty smooth, I have been launching my drift boat there for years.

The run is from the slide hole to the RV park in Elkton. If you don't stop to fish, you make the drift in 3-4 hours. The water is great for most types of floats and easy for novice to handle.

The only fast part of the float is at the end by the RV park. It's a failry wide chute that should not cause you any problems, just stay in the middle. Local kids use it as a big water slide sometimes so keep an eye out.

Fishing there has always been great. A slow day will be well over 100 bass. The thing I really love about this river is that you can go there on a weekend and still be lucky to see a boat or two.

Just call Arlenes and tell them you need a shuttle from the slide hole and they will set you up. Shuttle service is $15.00.

Have Fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is some pretty sound advice. I get down that way at least once a year. One time floating over a riffle we kicked up a dozen or so big nooks.

I do this river often. I would not do James to Osprey. There are some tricky areas on that run. Also towards the end assuming you figure out which way to go there is a very fast and narrow chute. It's no more than the twice the width of a drift boat. If you don't get it right heading in, you'll have some exciting times.

The run you want is just outside of Elkton. The put in is called the "slide hole" It's not a ramp, but a steep slope that you send your boat down on and guide it with rope. It works pretty smooth, I have been launching my drift boat there for years.

The run is from the slide hole to the RV park in Elkton. If you don't stop to fish, you make the drift in 3-4 hours. The water is great for most types of floats and easy for novice to handle.

The only fast part of the float is at the end by the RV park. It's a failry wide chute that should not cause you any problems, just stay in the middle. Local kids use it as a big water slide sometimes so keep an eye out.

Fishing there has always been great. A slow day will be well over 100 bass. The thing I really love about this river is that you can go there on a weekend and still be lucky to see a boat or two.

Just call Arlenes and tell them you need a shuttle from the slide hole and they will set you up. Shuttle service is $15.00.

Have Fun

·
Registered
10 Posts

Have Fun
Do you have driving directions to the slide hole? I am taking two vehicles so I don’t need a shuttle

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
The slide to Elkton is a good beginners drift. No fun unless you want to catch a million Smallmouth Bass. This is where I’d take a kid or inexperienced fisherman whom you want to have a good time and catch lots of fish. Be careful launching at the slide. I dang near broke my hip when for some reason I felt like it was ok to stand below the boat as we let it down the steep incline. It got away from us and knocked me down hard

As Addicted To Fishing said, most are small. There are big ones around….you see them but apparently they have been to school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Before you commit to the drift, look at the takeout. You may not want to deal with that very narrow channel and all those exposed rocks. Most likely everyone will have to get out of the boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts