IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am thinking of going to fish the lower Umpqua this july around the elkton area. i am going to be going after bass, i grew up in that area but never have been out on the river in a boat. i have a 19' custom-weld jet boat, i have run the lower Deshutes. my question concerns are about if there is any dangerous water i need to be worried about. also is there any decent ramps in the area. thanks.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
By then the river should be low enough to see everything but could get a little hairly in some shallow areas. The problem with the umpqua is there isn't a lot of gravel, it's bedrock shelves. So if you clip one it's going to do some damage. Just keep a close eye on where other people travel and you should be fine. I would put in either at the RV park in Elkon or below Sawyers about a mile or so. Those two are decent launches that time of year.

tc

·
Registered
301 Posts
Tailchaser,from what I've seen , the RV park in Elkton is not an option for sleds at all. The ramp above sawyers on the back side is not good for sleds that time of year, you might get one in but it would be a struggle. I would try something down below scottsburg.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear what you are saying about the bedrock being unforgiving. however gravel can be unfreindly also, i bent the crap out of the intake grate and plugged it full of gravel on the Deshutes last year, had to limp off to the side and pry the gravel out. good learning exp. however :cheers: thanks for the tips on the boat ramps. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts