IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of or have any recomendations for guides on the Umpqua. I'm just lookin for names.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter Steelhead

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ANyone have any recomendations

G

·
Terry Jarmain

I wouldn't go with ********** due to some unethical wild coho behavior I witnesed.

Re-edited due to excessive wining

[ 10-22-2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Bill Urie out of Medford for the South. Awesome. :bowdown:

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Darren Roe.

Mike Boyd.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have had good luck with scott wolfe at the big k guest ranch. private strech of river and beautiful area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keta ,

Learn to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you justify your comment on handling fish. Without a doubt, I have handled more fish than you every will and although I may release fish different than you......the chance of survival is similar. Ethics in your view may be totally different in another's view. If you have problem.....contact the person. DON'T POST IT ON AN OPEN FORUM!!!! In fact, I don't even know the guide you riduculed.

G

·
We fished around this "guide" for several hours and this is what we saw. It was bad enough that he was tossing the fish out of his boat with his fingers in their gills. When he beat one out of his net that was the worse thing I have ever seen. He should lose his license. Email me and I will tell you who this "guide" is.

Without a doubt, I have handled more fish than you every will and although I may release fish different than you......the chance of survival is similar
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I don't know about this. Unless you worked on a commercial troller. As for the survival rate...the fish I am going to release NEVER leave the water, a fish that has had its gills damaged or gets beat against the side of a boat has little chance to spawn.

[ 10-22-2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keta,

This is my final response to you. I am not a guide, I do not know the guide, and I am not a friend of his. Yes, I do net most wild fish I catch. After I net the wild fish, I usually do a quick reverse flip of the net and the fish usually sails free of the net and HOOK(S) and into the water. If the HOOK(S) are still attached after the quick flip, I grab the dikes and remove the hook from the mouth. No harm done, maybe a few scales lost, but believe me.......ready to spawn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keta,

From the tone of your inital post, is it your opinion that there is a difference between the releasing 'Ethics' of a 'Wild' Coho vs. the releasing 'Ethics' of a hatchery Coho?

G

·
Slime layer damaged, bacteria starts to eat skin, fish gets weak, and fish doesn’t make it back to spawn.

If you will note he beat the fish out of his net on the side of the boat.

PS:
If the fish is to be released it should be done in a manner that does the least amount of harm to it. It doesn't mater if it's wild or hatchery.

I lived in SE Alaska for 15 years and have worked on trollers. I have caught a few salmon :grin:

[ 10-21-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Fellas,

This thread started life as a request for names of guides on the Umpqua. It has somehow evolved into a shouting match between two people.

Take this to private email. It does not belong on this thread.

Thanks.

Skein

G

·
Skein,
I am politely replying to Deepline and trying to help him to be a better fish releaser. I don’t mind if he started out by yelling at me.

He can email me if he wants to.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm with Keta completely. If someone especially a guide is abusing the resource their name should be posted and they should tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail. I don't buy the "I didn't know" excuse if that one is used.

Todd Harrington is a good Winter Steelhead guide and also has access to the Big K and has a jet sled and driftboat. Seems like it'd be tough to schedule a day for Winters on the main stem because of water levels, I hope you're flexible with which day to go on short notice.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts