IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday on the Umpqua for sturgeon. Fished for 5 hours, got one 57 inch white, and didn't see another sturgeon fisherman, the river was full of springer fisherman though! Had to launch at 6 am even though low tide was at noon, just to get a parking spot.

[ 04-21-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: outdoor.spec.ops ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Congrats on the nice sturgeon! Whereabouts on the Umpqua do you fish for them?

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were between the Loon Lake turn off and the Scottsburg launch. I can't tell you the depth there because we didnt have a depth finder, and I had never fished there before. It was abot 25-30 foot I'd guess. Just used shrimp and a little WD40.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Mr special ops. I like to see when fellow ifishers get into some fish, but when using that secret sauce most call wd40 dont advertise that to the public. From my knowledge that stuff is illegal :hoboy: and yes I know it works but dont brag when using illegal methods.
Tight Lines SM

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will look that up and see what the scoop is. Never thought it would be illegal, but I will check it out. I appriciate the info.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know for sure if it is "ok" or not, but it does work, and I didnt see anything about using it in the regulatons. If they make it illegal, im sure that I could use some of the oil from the old beater kickers on the river.-Just kidding, and thanks for the advice, but didnt see anything illegal about it. Many of the smelly oils on the market are similar.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You were just soaking your hooks to keep them from rusting.......right? :wink:

Good job on the sturgie. All of the years I lived down there, I didn't fish for those. Didn't catch my first until I moved to this area, now I'm spoiled for life!

Scott

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good job!

First I heard of WD40 being illegal to use. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm sure there are many people using this stuff. Sure would be nice to know.

I bet that some of the other name brand attractants wouldn't be legal if WD40 isn't. I wonder how much of a difference their is?

[ 04-21-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Thick-N-Thin ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like smeltman has the insight we might be looking for on the WD-40 issue? Any concrete information on this one would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I attended a sturgeon seminar at the Portland Gi Joes one night and the guide that was putting it on told a story about while fishing out in astoria he saw a couple of guys get popped by the local enforcements for using WD40. I personally dont see anything wrong with it but if they would write you up for using something must not be right. Just thought I would let you know where I am coming from.

Tight Lines SM :hoboy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts