IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of a trip to southern Oregon for smallies, are there stretches of the Umpqua in the Elkton area that have good bank access or do you need a boat? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
There are some good access points from the bank, especially this time of year when the river is down... Elkton has good bank access, and there is a park nearby (off HWY 138), I believe its called Tyee park (please correct me if I am wrong).

Also the second bridge off of HWY 138 has good bank access from what I hear, but I have never tried that one out first hand.

Either way, your probably going to kill 'em, the Umpqua is the greatest for smallie action...

Good luck and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just fished the Umpqua starting at Elkton and floating about 4 miles. There were fish everywhere but fewer right in Elkton because of the bank access. Fish where there are ledges dropping off deep. Your best bet might be looking for a wide spot in the road and walking to the river. The shad in the river are about 3 inches now. A lot of bass we caught were caughing them up. We had best success with 3" senkos, wacky rigged with a small weight either slipping or pegged close to or far from the hook. Also did well on the drop shot. I caught close to 100 fish in 8 hours -- kind of slow. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts