IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone invest in an ultra-low temp freezer for killing parasites in tuna you intend to eat as sashimi or sushi?

I'm new to the tuna sport fishing scene this summer and I’ve been eating my tuna raw both fresh and thawed out of the standard freezer and have not gotten sick yet. I've been reading about requirements for ultra-low temp freezing of raw fish to be served legally as sushi in Oregon.

Do any Dogs go to this extreme or does everyone just eat it as is no problem?

If you do have an ultra-low temp freezer, where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Any comments, thoughts from anyone who has gotten sick?:shrug:

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Anyone invest in an ultra-low temp freezer for killing parasites in tuna you intend to eat as sashimi or sushi?

I'm new to the tuna sport fishing scene this summer and I’ve been eating my tuna raw both fresh and thawed out of the standard freezer and have not gotten sick yet. I've been reading about requirements for ultra-low temp freezing of raw fish to be served legally as sushi in Oregon.

Do any Dogs go to this extreme or does everyone just eat it as is no problem?

If you do have an ultra-low temp freezer, where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Any comments, thoughts from anyone who has gotten sick?:shrug:

How low is ultra low Mine goes down to -10

·
Registered
639 Posts
Tuna taste much better fresh and not frozen. But if frozen is the only kind you can get...

You mention parasites, in my 50+ years I had never heard of anyone getting sick from parasites from shashimi and I have known many folks who eat it.

Ron:twocents::twocents:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
What's the worst a few worms can do, give you the runs??:laugh:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How low is ultra low Mine goes down to -10
From what I've read a manufacturer called So-Low makes a 1.7 cu foot mini chest and up in size that will adjust between -40 and -80 degrees Fahrenheit.

What's the worst a few worms can do, give you the runs??:laugh:

Most worms don't seem to be a problem but there is one that bores through your intestinal tract to lay eggs in your abdominal cavity. Apparently the symptoms are so painful that people have been misdiagnosed with appendectomies and had their appendix removed unnecessarily. Ouch! Again, I’ve been eating my tuna raw with no problems so far but I’m just trying to evaluate the risk.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
It is my understanding, the parasites your concerned about are from fresh water.

You can shashimi that tuna with no concerns.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was vacationing in Thialand (Koa Tao) and I saw an american spear fisher come in with a trevally...he and his buddy fillet it up and ate it on the spot. That evening they were sick as dogs, they couldnt keep anything down, it was nasty. Long story short, they now FREEZE anything they plan to eat raw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts