IFish.net banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm curious as to advantages of this rig over spreaders...is it just because there are 2 rigs? Cheaper than spreaders? Guy I go out with has landed several on spreaders with me getting none on this setup. He thinks I should switch to spreaders, says that they help produce the right action on the bait...I just want to catch fish!

I was trying this rig because of all of the accolades here, but again...I just want to get into some halibut! I'm not sure we really found them thick, which may be part of the problem. We fished south of the rockpile.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Two rigs mean more bait in water. More bait equals more stink. More stink equals more fish attracted to offering. Twice on Saturday we had small chickens grab a hold of one bait. Left it down there and a bigger one climbed aboard the other bait. With a single setup once the mcchicken hooks up your done. That's all the reason I need to fish the double setup. Especially in 500+ ft of water. I've only fished Hali three times. Once with single twice with double rigs. The double rig days were way more
productive. Small sample size yes. Enough to convince me, yes. I'm sure the old salt here can elaborate more.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Two rigs mean more bait in water. More bait equals more stink. More stink equals more fish attracted to offering.
Bingo give the man a prize! You can also fish 2 different types of baits; last week-end for whatever reason the Hali did not seem as intent on the big pot-luck baits we often use on the bottom hook; we caught most of our fish on the top hook with just a 8" Gulp Glow Curl tail tipped with a strip of Tuna belly. I think the big chunk of Shad, Squid and Herring on the bottom hook helped draw them in though :)

Twice on Saturday we had small chickens grab a hold of one bait. Left it down there and a bigger one climbed aboard the other bait.
Nailed it again! It is called the Chicken Ranch Upgrade; if the first fish can't take drag, leave it down there, the second fish usually seems to be bigger :thisbig:

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
Cool

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
On a related note, a group of highliner salmon mooching charter captains rig their anchovies the same way. Why are the salmon biting the heck out of those baits? Maybe because they look like a dead or wounded bait, drifting / sinking naturally? Dead baits don't sink tail first; do an experiment and watch the way a dead bait sinks.
Before you had to use circle hooks we ALWAYS rigged dead baits backwards with a bait needle mooching salmon in California. I never knew there was another way to do it, and never used two hook mooching rigs. We could keep any chinook, so we didn't care that 80% of the fish were gut hooked.

But we also used dental bands to hold the gills shut. A bait with flared gills getting towed backwards looks unnatural and was much less likely to get bit than one that had the band. With halibut, it probably matters less.

When I fish inshore, it's always salmon style, threaded herring on a long leader with a single hook coming out the eye. And with a dental band on the gills. You never know when mr. piggy nook is gonna come calling.

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
How long is the tippet?

P

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How long is the tippet?
P
Q,

My "normal" size is about 12 inches for the glow lures, and small - medium herring / sardines. I'll make them a little longer (14 - 16 ") for larger baits. I also made a few even longer for a whole jumbo shad. But I decided I don't like to do that any more; prefer to get 2 slab fillets off a large shad.

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
Q,

My "normal" size is about 12 inches for the glow lures, and small - medium herring / sardines. I'll make them a little longer (14 - 16 ") for larger baits. I also made a few even longer for a whole jumbo shad. But I decided I don't like to do that any more; prefer to get 2 slab fillets off a large shad.
I'm going to pull those Slabhunter rigs apart and harvest the leaders and hooks. If they're longer than 14" I'll cut and re-crimp.

P

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great videos.

How long of a dropper line do you use and what lb test for the dropper?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bump, for the "happy tuna fisherman" :flowered:

Great videos.

How long of a dropper line do you use and what lb test for the dropper?

Thanks
For the sinker dropper, 40 lb mono..... about 12 inches below the bottom swivel.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Bump, winter time, stormy out, perfect time to get halibut gear ready for next season. Can’t wait!

·
Registered
401 Posts
bump for some killer rigging... :cool:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
That looks really cool!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Thread needles... I used to have several and used them exclusively for sturgeon fishing but I haven't seen them for a long time. Is that an internet buy or will fishing supply outlets have them?

I know this thread is about halibut but quite often lings or rockfish are targeted on the same trip. So, when bottom fishing (using flutter type jigs/lures) how many use duo snap (like) attachments to the jig/lure? Also, do you attach your hook(s) to the bottom of the lure, line to the "top" using a duo lock or do you attach directly (direct tie) to the top ring (with assist hooks)?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thread needles... I used to have several and used them exclusively for sturgeon fishing but I haven't seen them for a long time. Is that an internet buy or will fishing supply outlets have them?

Amazon has them in 9" length.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts