IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a description of the "Gen 2" improved 2 bait halibut rig, using bead gear instead of a dropper loop, and detachable tippets. With these tippets you can have all your baits rigged up beforehand, and quickly change out. No more wasting valuable time putting on new baits. Using a threader needle to attach tippet & bait.

Cheerio, Mark

Main leader:
https://youtu.be/xz32zmJtnmI

Tippets:
https://youtu.be/TDgsUq9hEi8

Threading tippet through whole bait (be sure to see this one...threading with the needle is the hot method!)
https://youtu.be/L3i5zFLwizo

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
Looks suspiciously like what I have!

Why do you thread the herring backward?

P

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quinn, it would only be backward if you were trolling. When a dead bait / fish sinks, what orientation does it take?

The tippet will not tear out like this; the bait is 100% attached to the hook & tippet, and the hook is partially inside.

On a salmon mooching rig, I'll thread it the same way....unless there is a very fast drift then I'll thread it from the tail, but that requires extra wraps to keep it from tearing.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Looks like I've got some gear to make =). Thanks for posting those great videos!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thank you Mark, as always.....Outstanding!
It looks like I better get busy tying up some of these rigs..... I like.

What am I supposed to do with all the stuff I already have tied up?:)
:flag2:

·
King Lingcod
49,049 Posts
Mark your rig is the genesis of what I use. I know ANY variation will catch halibut. The trick I did was for the weights I tied in a fishing stringer hook. If the weights snag the stringer hook releases and you save the rig. Works darn good. Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Great information -thank you Mark!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
That was well done, and and even those big eyed circle hooks look pretty darn fishy , but I think your baits on upside down.
I know it doesn't make much difference to a halibut, but on a fast drift aren't the tails wanting to peel the bait off.

just say'in :doh:

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the kind words folks.

Dan, as indicated in the video on threading the bait, I put a small rubber band around the tail. The bait does not peel off. Please see my response to Pharmseller above.

Halibut don't seem to think that these are "backwards."

On a related note, a group of highliner salmon mooching charter captains rig their anchovies the same way. Why are the salmon biting the heck out of those baits? Maybe because they look like a dead or wounded bait, drifting / sinking naturally? Dead baits don't sink tail first; do an experiment and watch the way a dead bait sinks.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I build mine based on your original. One of the benefits of them for me is that the dropper loop holds the bait away from the main line on the drop to avoid tangles. It looks like you lose that advantage with the three way swivel.

I know the dropper loops decrease total leader strength but when you start with 250 lb line, it doesn't matter.

Thanks Mark! But I'll be sticking with the ones I build based on your original :) I still think it's the bomb diggity.

PS, I ordered a grip of 20/0 offset circle hooks for next weekends gear. I've been feeling like the gap between the point and the shank on a 16/0 isn't wide enough. We had a number of big tugs that ended with no hookup last weekend and we are very careful about making sure the bait isn't blocking the opening on the hook. I'm curious to see if our bite to hookup ratio increases with the bigger hook that has almost twice the opening.

Chass
ct

Attachments

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
:clap: I simply just added a McMannon and tippet to the rigs I make... inspired by your gen one Hali rigging. When those run out moving up to gen two. TY...!

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang Chass, that is one gorilla-looking hook! Who makes those?

Joe, I like how you are doing the "mix & match"..... I do the same thing. You combine the pieces you prefer, or are handy at the time, or.... It's like learning to play blues guitar. You take pieces of different artists & songs, and eventually it blends into your own thing.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Dang Chass, that is one gorilla-looking hook! Who makes those?
I bought them from Catch All Tackle on Ebay. I find that they have a lot of good parts at very reasonable prices. The description for these was:

"Black Circle Hooks 10 pcs 20/0 Commercal Offset shark hook forged"

They run about $1.70 per hook after shipping so WAY more expensive than the 100 pack of 16/0 at about 50 cents per hook but if they command a better hookup ratio, it will be worth it. In the grand scheme of things a couple more bucks is really nothing for a halibut rig if it works. We will see how they work!

Chass
ct

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words folks.

Dan, as indicated in the video on threading the bait, I put a small rubber band around the tail. The bait does not peel off. Please see my response to Pharmseller above.

Halibut don't seem to think that these are "backwards."

On a related note, a group of highliner salmon mooching charter captains rig their anchovies the same way. Why are the salmon biting the heck out of those baits? Maybe because they look like a dead or wounded bait, drifting / sinking naturally? Dead baits don't sink tail first; do an experiment and watch the way a dead bait sinks.
Mark, we used to rig smelt for sturgeon backwards also, and they seamed to fish just fine.
you have me convinced, I am going to try putting a tuna trap on the other way, hey I bet a hoochie would even work the other way,
Mark I am just screwing with ya..:flowered::flowered::flowered::flowered:

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan, you better be glad you gave me lots of :flowered::flowered::flowered:

I almost went looking for the picture of you in the pink tutu :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks a lot Mark. The video was excellent! Besides the well made and designed terminal tackle I feel the feature of having pre-rigged baits and able to change them out with a new fresh perigged bait quickly ...can give you an edge on catching. When it's rock and roll time out there on the big blue it's always best to re bait as quickly and easily as possible. You are much more likely to change up fresh baits more often with prerigged baits .It is quicker and the more time with your fresh bait bouncing the bottom rather than time fooling around the deck gives you a couple extra percentage points to success.
Every little thing you do better all adds up in the end ...the sum of your intellect..guided by your intuition means more success.
Thanks again Mark for sharing your intellect on halibut rigging.
Cheers
DickE

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I like the better use of the two hooks but do you ever have an issue with the top position sliding down?

Seems if you get a big one it will want to pull the first tippet down the mainline and that makes me wonder if the line would chafe enough to cause a problem or do the crimps hold up to the pressure of a fish?

Going out Fri-Sat so we'll have to drop one and see.

Bill

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DickE, thanks for the very kind words. Like I told you, with $ and fish knowledge "you can't take it with you."

Bill, your question below is a good one. Yes, the crimps can slip. On that double 50 pounder rodeo, oddly enough the top crimp slipped a little. I surmised it was because the two fish were pulling against each other. I have had the bottom crimp slip a little (the lower of the 2 in an assembly)....like an inch. But it has never caused a failure of the main leader; even with a little fray, by starting with 150 you still have a lot of meat left.

I like the better use of the two hooks but do you ever have an issue with the top position sliding down?

Seems if you get a big one it will want to pull the first tippet down the mainline and that makes me wonder if the line would chafe enough to cause a problem or do the crimps hold up to the pressure of a fish?

Going out Fri-Sat so we'll have to drop one and see.

Bill

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks Mark for sharing your rigging technique.
worked like a charm for us Hali newbies today. Only problem we had was multiple doubles. Horrible problem I know. Thanks Again!

Cory

1 - 20 of 46 Posts