IFish Fishing Forum banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

· Registered
5,950 Posts
It's going to be a very bad Spring for Russia,(imo). I just don't see how they will mount any kind of major offensive, while Ukraine is freshly armed with a lot of very serious fire power! Including modern tanks (soon). They are more than willing to take the fight to the enemy! Crimea is in their sights!

· Registered
7,734 Posts
It's going to be a very bad Spring for Russia,(imo). I just don't see how they will mount any kind of major offensive, while Ukraine is freshly armed with a lot of very serious fire power! Including modern tanks (soon). They are more than willing to take the fight to the enemy! Crimea is in their sights!
Don't count the chickens just yet.
The Orcs are most likely going to throw everything they have at the Ukrainians this Spring.
The tanks may be months away from being on the battlefield.

· Registered
2,976 Posts
I got curious and read into the turbine engine used in the Abrams. 1500 horsepower at the shaft. Something I found very interesting- it runs on many fuels, including diesel! In fact the Australians run their Abrams on diesel.

In terms of performance, it’s a hell of a tank engine. Quick response, easy cold starts, etc. In terms of reliability and MTBF it’s not great. Turbine engines excel in aircraft, up in the clean air, where objects and debris don’t get sucked into to them. A tank’s reality is very different; the turbine blades are prone to erosion even though the engine has an elaborate air filtration system.

It makes for a high performance, high-strung, race car of a tank. VERY capable.... when it’s working right. Is it up for continuous frontline combat duty in Ukraine? Seems unlikely to me. I think that‘s a big reason the US hesitated: they’re going to be a bit embarrassing.

· Registered
416 Posts
Latest Col. Maccregor. As you know he has quite the background in tank warfare.

Ukraine Russia War Latest w. Col. Doug Macgregor - YouTube

Macgregor was the "squadron operations officer who essentially directed the Battle of 73 Easting" during the Gulf War.[3] Facing an Iraqi Republican Guard opponent, he led a contingent consisting of 19 tanks, 26 Bradley Fighting Vehicles and 4 M1064 mortar carriers through the sandstorm to the 73 Easting at roughly 16:18 hours on 26 February 1991 destroyed almost 70 Iraqi armored vehicles with no U.S. casualties in a 23-minute span of the battle.[3] He was at the front of the formation in the center with Eagle Troop on the right and Ghost Troop on the left. Macgregor designated Eagle Troop the main attack and positioned himself to the left of Eagle Troop. Eagle Troop Scouts subsequently followed Macgregor's tank through a minefield during which his crew destroyed two enemy tanks. As Macgregor was towards the front of the battle involved in shooting, he didn't "request artillery support or report events to superiors until the battle was virtually over, according to one of his superior officers."[3] The risks he undertook "could have been criticized had the fight turned ugly."[3

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Myself, I think these modern NATO tanks will make a big difference for a few reasons, not the least of which being that in this war of attrition NATO can supply them in effectively unlimited numbers whereas Russia has already pulled 50’s tanks from deep storage (and lost many of them).

But honestly, I think the Bradleys are a bigger deal. They are a perfect fit for the Ukrainian giant-killer mentality. They were designed for exactly this conflict. Their TOW missiles mean they are lethal against ANYTHING Russia has. They are fast, agile, armored “enough”.... the Ukrainians are gonna love them. And we can supply them in essentially unlimited numbers, too.

· Registered
7,734 Posts
Myself, I think these modern NATO tanks will make a big difference for a few reasons, not the least of which being that in this war of attrition NATO can supply them in effectively unlimited numbers whereas Russia has already pulled 50’s tanks from deep storage (and lost many of them).

But honestly, I think the Bradleys are a bigger deal. They are a perfect fit for the Ukrainian giant-killer mentality. They were designed for exactly this conflict. Their TOW missiles mean they are lethal against ANYTHING Russia has. They are fast, agile, armored “enough”.... the Ukrainians are gonna love them. And we can supply them in essentially unlimited numbers, too.
The Ukrainians will have to be smart about how they use the Bradleys.
The Bradley has a tall silhouette and can't take a hit from a tank round.

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Very true. The Bradley designers knew this and put the very effective sensor/sighting assembly up high, along with the TOW launcher. A Brad can be hidden (from tanks) behind a berm, or in a depression, yet still be able to monitor its surroundings, including at night or in smoke, and launch highly lethal (tank-killing) attacks from the TOW launcher.

Strikes me as a great fit for the innovative and nimble Ukrainian fighting forces. We’ll see.

· Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
Whenever NATO announces more weapons for the AFU Russia retaliates by bombing civilians. Sounds like an 80%+ shootdown rate, but still several deaths and injuries to innocents. Cruise missiles on urban centers is barbaric, like WWII barbaric. IF the allies were to stop sending munitions to Ukraine now we would see more ****, torture and genocide. I don't know how much success they will have in pushing the Russians out of captured territory, but they have earned the right to try. Even if hostilities were ceased where the current Winter stalemate lines are drawn, Ukraine will need to be heavily armed to defend itself against likely future Russian aggression.
The training it's going to take for the various armored vehicles, tanks and what not is going to require taking guys off the lines and new recruits. I read the number of soldiers it takes to operate a single Patriot battery is almost 100 and they are getting 3 of them. At least they are getting trained, but it's going to take some time as I understand it .I wonder how many soldiers are still signing up and are ready to fight or man these high tech systems?

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Starting to feel like this WAR is gonna take some time! Years...... plural. WSJ had a long article today wondering if Putin will try something big sooner than he otherwise would’ve, to get ahead of the arrival of all this NATO armor. Then again, there’s not that much he CAN do. Or he’d be doing it.

· Registered
416 Posts
luk, would you mind summarizing that YouTube from the colonel?
Sorry didn't see your question. Judge Napolitano is a hard inquisitor so moves conversation along. One comment the Colonel made was according to his sources who've looked at funeral notices,etc. the Ukraine has suffered 122k KIA, 35k MIA & 300k+ WIA. Russia is likely 16-25k KIA & 25-40 WIA. The disparity is explained by its mostly a artillery war and the Ukraine fires 6-7k shells a day and Russia 60k. Ask Napolean and Hitler how fighting a war on Russia's front doorstep works out. It's all so sad as the war could have been avoided and even now there aren't any negotiations taking place that are realistic. All wars end eventually, either by negotiation or surrender.

Judge Napolitano - Judging Freedom 1/24/2023 (bitchute.com)

Leopards vs. the Russian Bear - Antiwar.com Original

Dances With Bears » BLINKEN CONCEDES WAR IS LOST – OFFERS KREMLIN UKRAINIAN DEMILITARIZATION; CRIMEA, DONBASS, ZAPOROZHE; AND RESTRICTION OF NEW TANKS TO WESTERN UKRAINE IF THERE IS NO RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE (johnhelmer.net)

· Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
Russian propaganda knows no limits for the greedy willing to take their bribes. Infowars. Fortunately, it sounds like a small minority believing it. These "journalists" and "advisors" are on the Russian payroll. Bank it. Off shore accounts. To my knowledge, so long as you aren't in government or caught breaking tax laws you have "free speech rights" to mislead and lie all you want. All while Russia seeks to destroy a country with the potential to become a European powerhouse. A clear breach of ethics, but what's to stop them from hiding behind our free speech laws? Think about it. World class farmlands, oil, gas, coal, fertilizer and even salt mines, along with world class rivers, ports and harbors. There for the taking if they can only turn the tide of western support. Worth the effort when all they have to do is take advantage of US free speech rights and spend whatever it takes to spread their lies. And it's not just Putin fighting for survival. The entire Russian intel, oligarchy and misinformation complex has a deep financial survival interest in the lies. Pretty easy to see through if you bother to look.
This guys updates are usually good and without pretense of being unbiased. Not making as much noise as the western tanks, but Poland is sending 60 upgraded T 72 right away. Notice how all of Russia's neighbors, save puppet state Belarussia, are sending the most aid to Ukraine per GDP.

· Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Another great example of using our free speech laws against us. They see it as our greatest vulnerability. Is it? Will we let it be?

· Registered
5,950 Posts
Another great example of using our free speech laws against us. They see it as our greatest vulnerability. Is it? Will we let it be?

They seem willing to do just about anything to keep Sweden (and Finland) out of NATO. Turkey is doing their best to play both sides of the fence. And of course, Russia is doing it's best to keep that game going. Frankly, Turkey is the weakest link in NATO, in my opinion. It's time for U.S./NATO to "convince" Turkey that it's in their best interest to get on board with two new members of the alliance.

· Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 · (Edited)
I know. Turkey is barely even a democracy any more, but they are uniquely positioned in many ways so NATO really wants them in NATO. Erdogan uses it to every advantage. I do think it was stupid to let them have their protests in front of the Turkish Embassy, given where their EU bid stands. If they are worried about "prior free speech restraints", let them have their book burnings somewhere else. Too late for that, and now Russia is using it's propaganda machine to fuel anti western protests in many Muslim countries. On Russian TV they are calling for Jihad. Typical Russian efforts to destabilize in any way possible.

Now this. Leopards already moving into Ukraine? If this is true, Poland must have been training AFU forces in the use of Leopards for quite some time...behinds GDR's back. It's hard to imagine them sending these 2A6's into Ukraine unless their are trained tank crews ready to roll.
I hope it's true, as AFU is taking huge losses around Bahkmut. Nowhere near what the advancing Russians are experiencing, but it sounds as if they may have to pull out if the pincher continues to close and cut off supply lines.

The Leopard wins the "best looking tank" award in my book. Maybe we see them in action must sooner than anticipated.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts