IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

· Registered
3,265 Posts
I missed the thread about the Ukraine war. Learned a lot from others intel.

Reactions: JeffO

· Registered
2,987 Posts

· Registered
2,987 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: judyfish99

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Ha! Good point. It would be funny, if it wasn’t so tragic, that all that weaponry is flowing BACK to Russia from NK!

I think it’s the economic support from India and China that are the real linchpin, though.

It sounds like Putin is pouring men into the meat grinder at Bahkmut. Don’t remember if it’s in the above linked summary but somewhere yesterday I read an interview of Ukrainian soldiers there who said it was like WW2- the Russians come in waves, the Ukrainians slaughter them, here comes more right behind them picking up their weapons. And it’s believed this is essentially a Wagner vanity project. Just horrifying.

The video in the above summary of the Ukraine guys using a drone as a spotter and an automatic grenade launcher as long-range artillery is illustrative of the Ukrainian cleverness.

· Registered
24,038 Posts
Big difference, Ukraine's heart is in the fight. Seems to me they are avenging the brutality of the Russian military's invasion. Much like Sam Houston after the Alamo. I can't understand the US and western powers reluctance to fully support Ukraine. They do half measures at best afraid to upset Putin by throwing in some real firepower. Doesn't matter is Ukraine has a perfect government, Russia's naked aggression against the civilian population of its soverign neighbor needs to be addressed.

· Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Final "guest" lecture of the Yale series is really good. The one or two before it are as well. One theme throughout is that "think as we might, "history never ends." I guess an example would be trench warfare, one of the most barbaric forms of human interaction. Learn or repeat, I guess.
And Ukraine just commemorated Stalin's planned famine that killed millions of Ukrainians. Communist agriculture proved deadly. I guess "0 Covid" policies can backfire too. But how bad is it?

Jake Broe is a former US Nuclear Weapons Commander who has had a growing YT channel. If you start at about 9:20 you will see a "natural resource map" of Ukraine that got my attention years ago. It's all in the east and off Crimea. What Putler wants so badly. This is nothing more than an act of greed and genocide. Maps tell all. Oil, gas, coal, steel and some rare earth's.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
So I guess we're trying to get a "special holiday edition" war mongering thread going again?

Thought we were done with that propaganda filled hate fest?
Don’t B. Grinchy! 😂

· Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe this is the final of the Yale lecture series? This guy is cool because of his UNC connections, lol..
It's a succinct comparative analysis of commonalities between "Empires." Resource exploitation imo is the real driver. Well, maybe that and the egos of those in power at the time. Hot off the press.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Watched the US Army video. It is good. Many years ago, I read Michener’s “Poland”, which illustrated a similar predicament as far as having no natural geographic barriers to invasion. Ever since I’ve likened Poland to being on the 50 yard line of an NFL game: the combatants just roll over you, over and over again, from this direction, then that direction, over the centuries. Sounds like the same is true for Russia.

I don’t know if this is even feasible given their innate psychology but how cool would it be if a result of this fiasco is a greatly reduced Russia that more or less CAN’T express, in the physical realm, their desire to achieve their version of “manifest destiny“? Just kind of put that one to bed. I’m in my late 50’s and I’m pretty sick of “Russia”.

Reactions: salmo_g

· Registered
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IT is smart to try to educate the US AF's on the "why's" and what if we don'ts." Geopolitics in terms of spreading democracy vs autocracy is certainly at a crossroads. I doubt their will ever be a clear winner as long as men with big egos and outright fear of loosing power for further fear of disclosing their self dealing and corruption roam the earth. So here we are, back in the trenches .So sad and unnecessary. History repeats itself and we never learn.
Here's an historical blast from the past. The thunderous Browning heavy in the trenches. I've seen footage of operators burning up barrels. As they instructed in WWII, "short bursts." .

· Registered
2,987 Posts
A quick google of “Pooptin” yields amusing results. I hope it’s true. **** that guy. I said it at the very beginning of this and I’ll say it now: I hope he dies screaming in agony surrounded by people he hates. He’s earned it.

Reactions: salmo_g

· Registered
2,289 Posts
Considering the extremely valuable natural resources and manufacturing potential in Crimea, why would Ukraine want to hand that over to Putin? While the Ukrainian citizens are suffering from cold, I suspect Putin's low moral troops are far closer to a breaking point, with little or no help to keep them properly clothed or warm. I think this is a major underlying factor in Russia's infrastructure blitzkrieg. They are bluffing, with time and motivated fighters running out.
The Ukrainians are unbreakable in my opinion.
time for the 185 mile HIMARS to take out the key targets the Ukrainians have mapped and are itching to take out

1 - 20 of 233 Posts