IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there now :cool:

Quick question

I was using my kicker at full throttle yesterday and all of a sudden it idled down like it was starving for gas. so I opened the choke and it ran fine but I know something is wrong, when I closed the choke and gave it full power it started to idle down again. It wouldn't actually die, just idled down.

Can anyone clue me in on the problem :whazzup:

Bobby

G

·
Plugged jet in the carb, restricted fuel line/dirty filter or bad fuel pump would be the first things I would look for.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have an inline fuel filter, change it. I own gas stations and every time they swith over to the oxygenated gas every filter in every pump has to be changed at least once a month, or the pumps run ultra slow. Never have to change them during the rest of the year. The same thing happens to alot of cars due to the gas.

Trent

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had a similar problem...The cap on my fuel tank has one of those screw/vents...what happened was it was too tight and created a vacumn in the tank and the motor was "starved" for fuel. Found out when I opened the cap and heard the air rush in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if it's four cycle, check your oil level. could be over temp. may also be plugged cooling water inlet. may not be fuel at all.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Too much carrot milk in the gas I suppose :shrug:

Have you filled the tank in the last week? Isn't this about the time the gas stations switch over to the crummy oxygenated fuel? Not good for outboards, but probably wouldn't cause those symptoms, unless it causes a need to change jetting in the carb? I dunno....just throwing it out there.

[ 11-05-2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I assume you've mixed up "open" and "closed" on the choke description. It's closed for cold starts and open for running.

Might just be bad (old) gas. I'd try some fresh fuel first, then check fuel lines and fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have to agree with Keta plugged jet or gas line.

Is your fuel pump ball staying tight or is it loosing pressure? If so start there.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
clogged jet.....or bad fuel pump......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts