IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been twisting up my spinners tonight, nothing special just my take on Jed Davis’s patterns. I don’t meet many other folks that make their own, I’d be interested in seeing what the community is currently making or any improvements you think I could make.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I bought a twist tech a few years ago. I do love wire spinners even though mono ones have become popular and I have my fair share of those too.
Here's some of my recent creations.
Glasses Vertebrate Pink Magenta Font

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a twist tech a few years ago. I do love wire spinners even though mono ones have become popular and I have my fair share of those too.
Here's some of my recent creations. View attachment 963406
Wow those look great! So does having a twist tech and those pretty loops make much of a difference? Ever make any casting spinners? Do you know why boat spinner blades are painted but most French blades have standard metallic finishes?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Those look nice... I've made probably a thousand or more similar over the past 30 years based on Jed Davis's book. My favorite evolved to be a simple brass body/silver blade, #4 or #5, no tape or tubing, but was based on results in only a few rivers targeting steelhead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those look nice... I've made probably a thousand or more similar over the past 30 years based on Jed Davis's book. My favorite evolved to be a simple brass body/silver blade, #4 or #5, no tape or tubing, but was based on results in only a few rivers targeting steelhead.
Did you notice a worse hookup ratio when you ditched the tubing? I feel like the tubing gives them an aiming point. I could be overthinking things though.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wow those look great! So does having a twist tech and those pretty loops make much of a difference? Ever make any casting spinners? Do you know why boat spinner blades are painted but most French blades have standard metallic finishes?
Yes and no. I do think it makes a good difference. They certainly look better but do they fish better? I dunno.
The twist tech does a much better job of getting the eyes at 90° or dang close. It also does a much better job of making those back twists to be smooth and tight to the eye. It also eliminates any wire tags that might hang up on your line.
Is it worth it? I think so. The final quality of the product is much better then doing it with pliers. You can't tell the difference between mine and commercially made ones.
If you like wired spinners they're worth it. If you're happy with mono then....
I keep thinking about posting it on our local Facebook fishing page. $5 for a week plus a $50 deposit. But never have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and no. I do think it makes a good difference. They certainly look better but do they fish better? I dunno.
The twist tech does a much better job of getting the eyes at 90° or dang close. It also does a much better job of making those back twists to be smooth and tight to the eye. It also eliminates any wire tags that might hang up on your line.
Is it worth it? I think so. The final quality of the product is much better then doing it with pliers. You can't tell the difference between mine and commercially made ones.
If you like wired spinners they're worth it. If you're happy with mono then....
I keep thinking about posting it on our local Facebook fishing page. $5 for a week plus a $50 deposit. But never have.
Doesn’t seem worth the risk for $5 a week profit. Especially considering the product your making.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Doesn’t seem worth the risk for $5 a week profit. Especially considering the product your making.
My thought isn't about making money but rather sharing with the community. Twit techs are a nice to have but not a need to have. $5 covers wear and tear.
It's a smaller group in a smaller community. But there's a reason why I haven't done it...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Your spinners look good. I like to build spinners on occasion using French blades for steelhead and different variations using big blades for salmon trolling and casting. After years of using various types of pliers for making spinners, I bought a Twist-Tech from a fellow I-Fisher, and it just makes a nicer looking spinner. May not fish better but who knows. probably The most important thing you can do is make sure you have good balance with the blade and weight of the spinner, because you want the blade to begin spinning as soon as it hits the water. I have made spinners early on that I just have to work to get them to spin or keep them spinning because they were not balanced. For weighted casting Spinners for salmon, I use egg sinkers for weight. Just add them with the beads. Good luck. And Tight Lines

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Did you notice a worse hookup ratio when you ditched the tubing? I feel like the tubing gives them an aiming point. I could be overthinking things though.
Yeah, you're definitely over thinking things. Being an avid spinner fisherman, I've hardly never used tubing and have had no issues with hookup ratios. When a fish decides to annihilate a spinner, they do just that. I don't even have to set the hook. I just gotta load the rod and enjoy.

·
Registered
39,650 Posts
Where encounters with fish that must be released is common, dump the treble hooks. Singles work just fine.

I like the use of black on spinner blades.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Where encounters with fish that must be released is common, dump the treble hooks. Singles work just fine.

I like the use of black on spinner blades.
Yes all my steelhead spinners are single hook, but for some reason still use trebles on salmon spinners.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I’ve been twisting up my spinners tonight, nothing special just my take on Jed Davis’s patterns. I don’t meet many other folks that make their own, I’d be interested in seeing what the community is currently making or any improvements you think I could make.
I make mine similar to yours. I quit adding that swivel at the top though because it seems to foul the spinner more often. I tie the swivel to the braid and then mono leader direct to the spinner. I tried to use the FG knot yesterday instead of having a swivel at all and the knot came apart after about 40 casts. Back to using the swivel now.

I also add one more bearing bead to the top of the body. Seems to spin better/quicker.

I've tried messing around with different stuff. Never ditched the tubing though. I have tried to use larger clevises to get the blade to rotate further from the shaft but it actually makes it much harder for the blade to get moving. I have used double bodies to get a really heavy spinner for casting on the columbia and that works fine.

I've noticed that with size 4 spinners you can get away with using the thinner blades that cost less. The size 5 spinners though have to have the thicker blades like the one's you have there from fishermans shack. My top producing spinner is silver body and blade with green sticker inside the blade and green tubing on the hook.

I've used lots of different hooks and so far my favorite is the eagle claws. They are cheap and they sharpen easily. Also the hooks bend reasonably easy. I like this because I get a lot of my spinners back when they're snagged on rocks. If the hook bends out I may bend it back once and keep fishing or I may just throw it in my bag and grab a new one. I'll rebuild the bent hook spinners when I get home. It's a lot cheaper to replace a hook and a wire than the whole spinner. I don't recall losing a fish to a bent hook either. They're usually hooked by more than one prong. I use better hooks for trolling spinners.

Don't overlook Worthco for your components. They sell in bulk. Fisherman's shack has so far been the best source for blades and wires. My hooks come from Cabelas.

·
Registered
225 Posts
All good inputs so far. Spinnerfisher, every one of those spinners will catch fish; GOOD JOB. Couple things since you asked: 1) Tubing affects “Sink rate” in the water and impedes casting distance. If trolling behind a boat, no problem. But if you want your spinner to sink at the top of the riffle to be in the “fishy green spot zone” by a certain time, tubing can throw your expectations off. Tubing holds air. Also slows the throw in your pitch when casting. 2) the use of black tape on the blade is great. With your spinner there, it will dull the flash and could be what you want. However, a strip of black tape applied perpendicular to the blade gives a two dimensional color to the fish. Just something to consider while we over think our gear. 3) Trebles vs single hooks; if I want a good sinking spinner or am casting against a wind (Drano, Jetty, Pacific City, etc) I am adding a 4x treble to the spinner if legally allowed to. If I am in the rivers targeting Steelhead, it will be a barbless single. Hooks can add weight and i use it. 4) beads; I love faceted beads for their light reflection gains over round beads.
Go have fun! Enjoy!
X

·
Registered
962 Posts
There have been some interesting threads over the years on the treble vs siwash debate. One argument is that single hooks have a longer shank that makes it easier for smolts to take deeply often resulting in a fatal wound. I’ve always been firmly in the camp that uses single hooks, but lately I’ve been giving more thought to the pro-treble argument. With adult fish it seems to me that successful release is probably more a function of technique than the style hook. I keep the fish in the water, and I’ve got pliers ready to go at all times. When I do use trebles on occasion I’ve had no trouble releasing adult fish quickly with little handling.

But in reality I hook way more smolts than adults in a given year even though I try to avoid them. And some of them are hooked deeply and fatally on single hooks. On the other hand I’ve seen smolts manage to get their tiny mouths around all three points of a treble which ain’t good either.

I may experiment with barbless trebles as contradictory as that may seem. I just wish my local rivers had enough steelhead to make it worth a trip. The way things are going I’m morphing into a bass fisherman.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
This is a good thread. I wish there were more steelhead around this summer........

Regarding hooks, the size of the hook makes as much difference as whether it's a treble or single. A large siwash hook will often come out through the eye socket of an adult steelhead - can kill them. I try to use size #1 or smaller. Even then, I've put out the eye of an adult steelhead (all luckily hatchery) with 3 different styles of #1 siwash hooks. One of those steelhead was actually dead by the time I tailed it. Incidently, the siwash hooks that come with Blue Fox spinners are WAY too big - bad for hook penetration and will kill steelhead. Just throw them out. If you want to use a siwash with a bell-shaped spinner, like a Blue Fox Vibrax, I've had good luck with Gamakatsu's. They're a little longer in the shank which seems to help with hooking the fish with a spinner body that's fatter near the hook. I use a #2 Gami with a #3 BF, a #1 Gami with a #4 BF and a 1/0 Gami with a #5. I'll bend the point of the 1/0 slightly toward the shank to make it safer for the fish (smaller gap). For most spinners and spoons I prefer Mustad siwash hooks. Their point is easier to sharpen after a snag than Gami's.

Regarding tubing, I've gotten in the habit of sliding a small piece on the end of the torpedo body - that way it doesn't affect the cast, the drop, or hook penetration of the spinner, but it puts a little color on the back end of the spinner. Think of a green butt skunk fly. Same idea. Also, this works well with treble or siwash hooks. Putting tubing on the shank of a siwash hook doesn't work so well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yea, this is a great thread!

There are a multitude of options when creating your own. Coming up with a pattern that works consistently is more than half the fun.

For casting from the bank I always carry a couple of standard colored Blue Foxes, but dang I can remember paying 2 bucks a piece a few years ago. Been lucky to get them on sale now 2 for 8 bucks.

I am not completely hooked on the heavy weight casting spinner yet, seems they do not spin as good, even been trying some tungsten weights as bodies.

Lets see them pics of the winners you have made in the past.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those are nice

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those look similar to what I make. I don't bother with the swivel, don't have a twist tech so gets in the way when I twist by hand. Did you get your stuff from Fishermans Shack?

Like others I quit using wire for 3.5 spinners and just tie directly on leader.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts