IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my sled I have what I believe is called a tunnel hull. At the back of the boat it has a lip that comes up an inch or two from the regular part of the boat. The boat is a modified V and is nearly flat on the bottom all the way to the tunnel hull. I had thought these were good for jets so you get better clearence but after reading one guys opinion online, he said its bad. It provides a bad flow of water to the jet. What do you guys that own one of these tunnel hulls think? I have to mount a new 50 hp engine on my boat this week, do I make the bottome part of the shoe flush with the end of this tunnel or go deeper? Need some ideas and opinions, Thanks! :tongue:

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
After test driving the same model of boat with and w/o a tunnel I believe the tunnel design really improves performance on my boat. Not only does it give you better clearance it doesn't cavitate in tight turns.

I'm sure it depends a great deal on the manufacturer and the tunnel design so it would be hard to make a blanket statement as to the benefits.

As to mounting your engine. I believe you want the shoe to tuck right up into the tunnel. My boat has a plastic cavitation plate extending out of the tunnel and the shoe fits right in under that.

Seems to work great!

·
Registered
154 Posts
What make of boats are you guys running that have the tunnel?
Also, if you do some surfing, you will find that many people do very well with tunnel hulls and jets.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts