IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to understand the subtleties of trolling with 7' or 6'6" or even shorter rods? Or does it even matter and its all personal preferences?

The context here is trolling for albacore...

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah Duckie, I'm curious about this too.

For example, Abu Garcia Brute rods rated 20-50 are available in 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 foot models.

Which one would work best for tuna trolling?:shrug:

·
Registered
81 Posts
What king of engine(s) do you have? For outboard a longer rod is needed to get around the engines when that fish does something weird (or usual).
I have twins on mine and use a 6'6 rod and really have to reach out to move it around the engines.

Dave

·
Registered
857 Posts
i just started using a Lamiglas 10-30 rated 7' rod. It worked out wonderfully.. Not to stiff that I can just winch them in, and not too long like a heavy salmon rod either...

·
Vendor
9,515 Posts
Tuna trolling is pretty simple business, and almost any stout rod will do. The sportboats in So. Cal. used a motley assortment of battered sticks, many of which were solid glass. That being said, I like a variety of lengths. Longer (8 ft) rods serve as natural outriggers in my outboard rod holders, which are angled out at 45 degrees. I put the shorter (shortest is 5'6") in the center vertical rod holders. The shorter rods are better for fish fighting and to keep the lures from skipping too much.

On my boat we have some fun with vintage rods and reels that are 20 to 35 years old. It all works.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tinman has it right- the bottom line is it's your preference. Too many times I've seen the "gear ******" get outfished by somebody with an old Penn and a cheap stick.......

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What we need here is MarkMC to chime in on the attributes of a trolling rod.
Mr. MC, (heavy on the Mr.), made a 655xh that I picked up. By far the best trolling rod I have used.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
What we need here is MarkMC to chime in on the attributes of a trolling rod.
Mr. MC, (heavy on the Mr.), made a 655xh that I picked up. By far the best trolling rod I have used.
I have tied up several Seeker 665's and for our tuna they rock. Course the Avet EX 4/0 hair style doesn't hurt much either. I want to bend a 665xh, me thinks that would be a great Halbacore blank, cause the 665 is a tad limber for 48oz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts