IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,153 Posts
OK, new twist.

Use a cast iron pan instead of a pie pan.

I'll let you know.

· Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,153 Posts
Cast iron pan rocks. 14 inch by 2-1/2 inch deep. Best crust ever .. crispy and ahh ... at a loss for words.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Okay... we finally tried this recipe tonight. We all have colds, and it seemed logical to use (only 1 TBSP) dried "Red Pepper Flake," not Red 'Bell Pepper' flake. Well, it was wonderful, but HOT. Not so hot for Mrs. Billfisher and me, but the kids (4,5,7) were thermonuclear to say the least.

The recipe was easy, and a definite repeat. Thanks Pilar! and Ocean Blue for posting it way back when and again.:meme::food::cheers:

· Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Oceanblue and Pilar's mom for sharing. We made this last night for the first time, and found it excellent. In fact, my wife (who isn't much of a fish eater) said it's the best "tuna recipe" she has ever had. Than would explain why she had seconds. Regarding servings, I have to agree with previous posts. It only feeds four (max).

· Registered
158 Posts
For me down here in the PRK where Tuna is harder to come by than youse lucky ones up north, I've found that Halibut and even Lingcod are an excellent substitute with this recipe.

· Registered
78 Posts
Well, it reallly isn't any surprise... but that's what we call it in honor of the pie-plate that Pilar's Mom made us. Awesome plate and wonderful dish! Many thanks to Pilar's Mom!

Here's the recipe:

TUNA! Pie

1-1/2 Cups flour
1-1/2 Cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt (I skimped on this + used sea salt)
1 tsp hungarian sweet paprika
1/2 Cup butter
12 oz TUNA!, drained
3 eggs
1 Cup sour cream (we used non-fat and Pilar said it was still good)
1/4 Cup mayonnaise (we used light and Pilar said it was still good
2 Tbs Red Bell Pepper flakes, rehydrated (I don't know why it calls for this so we used 4 Tbs fresh red bell pepper, minced)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dill weed

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10" deep-dish pie pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup cheese, salt and paprika. Cut the butter into small chunks and cut into the flour/cheese mixture. Use a fork to mix/smash until coarse crumbs form (it's easier if the butter is slightly softened). Reserve 1 cup of the mixture. Press the rest into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan. Arrange the tuna on top of the crust. Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in the sour cream, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, mayo, red bell pepper, onion, and dill weed. Pour over the tuna and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 35 - 40 min. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving (I challenge you to actually wait the full 15 minutes. I think we only made it to 10 :wink: )

serves 8
Calories - 1,000,000
Fat Grams - 2,000

Enjoy!

:grin:
I am always looking for canned tuna recipes think this will be dinner tonight

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.