IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it reallly isn't any surprise... but that's what we call it in honor of the pie-plate that Pilar's Mom made us. Awesome plate and wonderful dish! Many thanks to Pilar's Mom!

Here's the recipe:

TUNA! Pie

1-1/2 Cups flour
1-1/2 Cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt (I skimped on this + used sea salt)
1 tsp hungarian sweet paprika
1/2 Cup butter
12 oz TUNA!, drained
3 eggs
1 Cup sour cream (we used non-fat and Pilar said it was still good)
1/4 Cup mayonnaise (we used light and Pilar said it was still good
2 Tbs Red Bell Pepper flakes, rehydrated (I don't know why it calls for this so we used 4 Tbs fresh red bell pepper, minced)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dill weed

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10" deep-dish pie pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup cheese, salt and paprika. Cut the butter into small chunks and cut into the flour/cheese mixture. Use a fork to mix/smash until coarse crumbs form (it's easier if the butter is slightly softened). Reserve 1 cup of the mixture. Press the rest into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan. Arrange the tuna on top of the crust. Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in the sour cream, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, mayo, red bell pepper, onion, and dill weed. Pour over the tuna and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 35 - 40 min. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving (I challenge you to actually wait the full 15 minutes. I think we only made it to 10 :wink: )

serves 8
Calories - 1,000,000
Fat Grams - 2,000

Enjoy!

:grin:

· Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,153 Posts
Absolutely don't try this if your supply of TUNA! is not measured in Metric tons or you are on the wrong end of summer.

You have been warned!!!!!!

· Registered
767 Posts
Ooooo.... Be careful there Ray. I'm smellin' what yer steppin' in, but be careful not to fall in face first.
Buuuuuuuuuut Anywhooooooo...........
Hey! When are we going fishing anway?
You know...........? I hear the crabbing can be quitw good this time of year.... :wink: :wink: :grin: :wink: :wink:
What do you think? Is the SeaLion up to it?
Ragnar

· Registered
5,354 Posts
Troy, I seem to have a lot of room lately.
Sure Sea Lion is up to it but my wallet ain't lookin too good. Coastal trips for spiders are out for a week or two.
I'd like to do a clam/Crab combo trip.
Mel, you wanna ride along too?

The above post was in Humor, not to stir the perverbial fecal matter...

Can't wait to try the Tuna! dish.

Think I'll go fer the Original version :wink:
I'm sure it will still be good :wink:

Who wants ta come over fer a sample?

· Registered
767 Posts
Ray,
I'd be all over them thar' spiders. I'll be hunting though....Perhaps I can "take a day off" from hunting. I'm sure I can afford some time to stock up on crustacians and bivalves in a 2 week period somewhere. You just let me know if you need to fill the boat. I know people who would be all over that like a fat kid with bowl full of pork chops! We probably won't even have to lift a finger or pull a pot for that matter...
We'd have you covered.
As for the fecal matter......I know where were coming from. No worries Man. It's all good...
Give me a call Sometime...
(360) 573-0202 ext.121 wk
(360) 546-3723 hm
(360) 907-2978 cell
Geez! If dating was only this easy.....
Ragnar

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nofish - Pilar's mom gets the thanks for that one (or "blame", depending on how you look at it :grin: )

Hey Mom - I can see an extra 20 lbs in my very near future! We've had this twice already this week for dinner and leftovers make good breakfast and lunch. Maybe it's just dang good, or maybe it's the mercury poisoning, :laugh: but we just can't stay away from the stuff! Thanks again (I think) :wink:

· Registered
652 Posts
Ocean Blue,

Now I know why John is such a big boy. Too much good home cooking as a child. If you want a really good good smoked salmon quiche, try James Beard's recipe. It calls for eggs, heavy cream, cream cheese and butter. But it is so yummy....

· Registered
1,811 Posts
We made this last night and it was good. Even tonight it's still good! We were thinking some sliced olives might be good to add into the mix as well...
Yum!
:smash:

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Substitute crab or smoked salmon for the TUNA! It calls for 12 oz, but we always use 16 and an oversized pie plate.

The shree-imp is making it for dinner tonight :) Maybe I can get her to make 2 of 'em.

Funny, the recipe says it serves 8. It serves 4, trust me. I usually have to fight the shree-imp to save the last piece for John's lunch.

If you're Puffin, the recipe serves 2. I had to laugh when he told me that he made 2 so that he'd have leftovers. He invited his buddy, Mark, over and they polished off one pie and started on the other... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

· Registered
4,025 Posts
I made this again for dinner tonight..............OMG that recipe ROCKS.

By the way, I don't think raw tuna would work, to much moisture. However, cooked leftover tuna would probably work just fine.

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Uh-oh!! There goes my diet!! It is a good thing that I share it!! :hearton: judyfish99

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those of you for whom 'milk' is a bad word - or for those who are in trouble with the doc over cholesterol (namely me!), here is a way to modify this recipe:

Replace the butter with Canola-based margarine (look at the label to ensure no trans-fats and that is it recommended for baking)

Replace the cheese with a cheddar-flavored soy product

Replace the sour cream with non-fat plain yogurt

Replace the mayo with "heart-smart" mayo substitute

Replace the eggs with an eggwhite based substitute (eggbeaters - comes in a little carton and usually near the eggs in the grocery store)

Use a full Pint jar instead of the 12 oz recommended (and if you use smoked, even better)

Add a little extra pepper or spice of choice for zip. You may wish to go with a little extra salt, particularly if you can your tuna with less than the full teaspoon/pint like we do.

I tested this out and it works. It's pretty good. If you never had the original, you'd think you died and went to heaven.

For those of us who've had the original, it pales in comparison, but is plenty satisfying. :smile: In fact, one normal portion is plenty. :grin: Unless you're my daughter. :bigshock: The original recipe encourages gorging oneself... :redface: You have been warned. :eek:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.