IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you turn your canned Albacore into a tuna fish sandwich. What do you add, etc?
I just tried a recipe off the internet but it is dry and rather tasteless.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Open jar
Drain
Get fork
Taste test, and again, and again (arobics tempo here)
Now try some with salt and little pepper
Go pour a fresh cold beer
Oops forgot what tuna tasted like
Taste test again, and again, and again - just one more
Dump in bowl
Taste test again - you never know it might have changed
Flake up tuna real course
Add some REAL mayo a little salt, fresh ground pepper a little pickle relish some dry mustard (not very much just a pinch), or some diced Jalapeños, maybe some wassabi
Toast bagle
Taste test
Smear cream cheese on hot bagel - top with Tuna mixture

I guarantee that one pint jar will only make one sandwitch :food:

Point is try some different things till you find what you like. Other adds, hard boiled egg, potatoes, diced onion, sarachi hot sauce, grated medium aged white chedder. I never make it the same twice - cause I can never remember what I used.

Have some fun in the kitchen

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Tuna
Mayo
Dill Pickles (toss in a couple tablespoons of the juice, too)
Walla Walla onion
Bit o' black pepper

Yum!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Guess you've given me some ideas to work with!

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Try adding in a little horseradish. MMM! :food: I like to add sweet pickle relish BEFORE adding the mayo. Then just add enough mayo to make it stick together. Makes the tuna salad less watery (if you actually have any leftover)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Pretty much like the others here, but I add a little mustard, 3x as much of the mayo, grated cheese, sweet relish, chopped up boiled egg, sweet relish, salt and pepper to taste and sliced french or sour dough bread.
Chips are great with it?:food:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I add a little mustard...the fancy kind...to my tuna...yumm.....also try it on rye bread with swiss cheese...and tomato....

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
I solemnly believe that the key to all sandwich or salad dressing is Worcestershire . That, and a touch of red pepper.

Try it!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've stumbled onto an amazing recipe (trial and error). I don't really measure the ingredients, but this is a good estimate.

1 pint garlic canned tuna
3 tablespoons sweet relish
1 small handful of chopped pepperoncini (can sub onion - red, walla walla or green, depending on your mood, but I like the pepperoncini's.)
2 tablespoons A1 Tabasco steak sauce (secret ingredient)
As much Best Foods mayo as you like - about a cup for me

And the last secret - butter your bread on the inside.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
1 pint tuna, add bestfoods mayo to desired consistancy, add 1 whole stalk celery chopped and diced 1/4" pieces(about 1/4cup or more), add chopped walla walla or other sweet onion(about 1/4cup or more) fresh cracked black pepper, and a few shakes of celery salt.

mix thouroughly...:food::food::food: spread on favotite sliced bread(i like potato) and open a jar of jalepeno's or yellow chili peppers...bite of tuna, bite of pepper!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Cut a medium loin into 3/4 in medallions and marinate in Teriyaki, ginger, garlic for 15 minutes.

cook 1-2 minutes per side on hot BBq grill and cover with swiss cheese. Place on toasted, buttered hoagie bun.

Teriyaki Tuna sandwich! These things are a total delicious gut bomb!

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
My brother's recipe,

Step 1: Open jar
Step 2: Drain liquid
Step 3: Grab fork
Step 4: Forget the bread, eat TUNA! out of jar

I have to admit, there are many times I've taken a 1/2 pint of smoked TUNA! to work with the intentions of using it as a topping for my green salad. I end up eating the TUNA! and the salad goes untouched :grin:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Tuna, mayo, mustard, chopped dill pickles & a little pickle juice, sweet relish, chopped onion, chopped celery, salt, pepper and a few splashes of Crystal hot sauce. Other things to consider if you want to add are crumble hard boiled eggs, chopped olives, jalapenos and toasted almonds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW!! So many options and ideas! Guess I'd better get some thawed and canned so I can try some of these ideas.
I may have to get on a tuna boat again to get more meat!
Thanks All.

Frank

·
Administrator
41,348 Posts
OK, if no one else is going to share the secret, I guess I'll have to be the one. There are lots of great ideas above, but the "make or break" for me is wasabi. Mix it into the mayo or buy wasabi-mayo at Uagimaya. If you use real, fresh wasabi you'll be much happier than if you use the S&W fake stuff, made from toxic horseradish. (Bye the way, wasabi and butter on Dungeness is pretty special, too!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Pete
Being totally ignorant, I just checked out wasabi on Wikipedia. I doubt the real thing would be available in Grants Pass, so I may have to try the imitation. Flavored, colored, toxic (??) horseradish. I'll give it a try.

I did finally get a simple mixture that works well enough, thanks to all above. So I'm enjoying my tuna fish sandwiches. Wish I hadn't given most of the albacore away!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Flake tuna, add finely chopped red onion and finely chopped celery.

Dressing:
Mayo
Lots of dried dill weed
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Mix with wire whip. Then add to tuna and veggies. You can add more mayo to desired consistency. Good on english muffin topped with pepperjack cheese and melted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts