IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say 80% tule and 20% URB. Tules have better eggs that the URB do right now IMO

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have not caught any Tule's. How do you tell the difference? HJ

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say in our 4 days it was about 50-50. I don't think the type of spin your herring has will change your percentage, but for us the slack tide bites produced more tules and the in-between time produced more URB's.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
In three days down there we got 6 URB's and 2 Tules.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Tules are Lower Columbia river Fall chinook... Headed for rivers like the Kalama. They Look Darker... Almost a Brown. They tend to have a humpier back and stink strait out of the water.. The upriver bright fish are chrome just like a springer. Tules will be spawining in soon.. sooner than the URB's. Oh URB's are headed to the Tri City area. When they get to the Yakima river they look like a tule!

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
In my only day down there (Sunday) we got two of each.

Another distinguishing feature of Tule stock chinook (without cutting into it and seeing the pale flesh), along with the bronzy color, and belly often showing a reddish hue, is a larger adipose fin.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I fished 3 days last week and of the 11 chinooks we boated, 1 was a tule. It also happened to be the biggest, a buck of around 45#. The rest were between 12 and 30#. :cheers:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Fished with a good buddy and friends a couple days last week out of Chinook.

Tuesday - 4 URB's, 2 Tules released

Friday - 4 URB's, 6 Tules released

So 50% URB's and 50% Tules.

I saw a lot of people konking Tules.

Rich

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ive bonked a few tules in my time and people cant tell the difference(at barbys). If their not too dark ill bonk em, taste good to me. Although, yes they do smell of copper and blood, but so do all fish if dead long enough. MHO

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
The fish that this fella is holding is a Tule (no offense, guys, just using your pic because it is a good, clear example of a Tule). Note the width and breadth of the fish for the overall length. Tules tend to be short and stocky. Also note the color, the big head and the extremely large adipose fin.

This is an upriver bright (URB). Ok, it was last years fish but I don't catch one like this everyday and have not yet this year. It still serves as a pretty good example of the difference.

[ 08-26-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Those of you who are fishing B10 for chinook, what would you estimate your Tule vs. URB percentage at? I seem to get more tule's than URB's and was wondering if others were seeing the same thing. I would guess my average is 70% Tule and 30% URB, however it varies from day to day.

I was wondering if I could change this by changing the herring role or something? I use a fairly tight (drill bit) roll.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts