IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a relatively new boat owner and fisherman, I don't have a reel for every type of fishing that I am getting into. I have a sturgeon rod/reel, a steelhead/salmon rod reel (Abu Garcia 6500) and a trout spinning rod/reel. My salmon/steelhead reel is loaded with 50 lb Tuff line. I've heard that Wiggle Warts are designed to be trolled with 12 lb mono. So last year, I tied on a 20 foot leader of 12 lb Ultragreen mono to the Tuff line (with a double uni knot) when trolling Wiggle Warts. I realize it would be best to have a second reel with all mono, but I am wondering if my Tuff line with 20 foot mono leader set up is OK? Would I catch more fish with an all mono set up?

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Eliminate the leader. Not needed for steelies.

Do keep a semi loose drag once the fish is hooked. Bent hooks are common on stiff drags.

If the color of the line makes you worry( about the fish being line shy) use a felt pen to blacken it for a few feet in front of the plug.

Do retie if the Tuf looks even a little frayed. A little frazzle is a bad thing in the braid world( frazzle from fish teeth, that is). I chop off 5 feet or so when it looks questionable.

In a backtrolling situation, I honestly cannot see any reason to not use Tuf with plugs for steelhead.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I use about 4 to 6 feet of mono as a shock leader,, and have sometimes used a second barrel swivel between the different lines to prevent line twist.

I do however use a barrel swivel for connecting to my hotshots or kwikfish. AND I DO reverse the dou-snap so I can just snap to the barrel swivel and when the urge hits me, do a lure change with out re tie-ing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I learned this from Chris Vertopoulis, 50lb. Tuff, then on that you thread (with a needle for me) a small piece of solid round rubber, just a little larger then the diameter of your tip top and about an 1/8 inch thick, then tie on a barrel swivel and then your leader to the length that it would be snug when your plug is in the rods hookeeper. When your done with that rod just reel up (no damage from the swivel to the tip top) put the hook in the hookeeper and your good to go. I've done this on my plug rods for two seasons now and it works great for me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Reno, it is a solid round rubber tube material, therefore when you cut it it is flat sided round rubber circle, the diameter just a little larger than a standard size rod tip top. I got it at Home Depot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts