IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through a old fishing book last night and came across 50.00 I stuck in it and forgot it.I was thinking on picking up some braded line, the last, lasted 2 years, tuff line, but I used it in the ocean and it's shot.
So I though ASK THE GUYS ON IFISH AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.
So it's eather going to be 50 pound tuff pluss or Spider wire.
WHATS ALL YOUR INPUT. THANKS P/S I know there have been post on this in the past, but if I miss place 50.00 bucks, than I cant even remember the past to well. Thanks -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------** Fish-On River-Rat.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you are just trolling Tuff-line+ If you bobber fish or do any casting Original tuff-line casts much better. my .02

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Tuff

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Tuff plus, 50 lb for salmon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Id go with tuff line fishing from a boat.But bankfishing/drifting a river forgetaboutit.I lost a few fish using spiderwire because it doesnt have the abrasion resistance that mono does! It will pop in a second if it gets round a rock with a fish on! Plus I like to use my thumb for drag when fighting a fish and if you have spider or tuff and your tryin to stop mr nookie from goin in the fast water your gonna fry your thumb! Ill take maxima anyday!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use Power Pro 30lbs for trolling or 50lbs for hog lines or down at the coast. Never had a break or a knot come undone. :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
While living in Sekiu/Clallam Bay Wa. a charter boat capt.in Neah Bay taught me this...he took 50 lb ORIGINAL "Tuff Line" (black and white) and it failed at 46 lbs. (that was the best it scored) he explained that it was made up of 1 strand of a dracron type material (black) and 2 strands of "spectra" (white)...he then showed me what was labled as "SPECTRA FISHING LINE"...he preformed the same tests and the lowest failure was at 54 lbs. (50 lb line)that line was 3 strands of spectra...the whites stuff that Tuff Line Plus is made of,none of the breaks in the lines occured at knots,the failures all happened away from the knots and the tests were done with weights, I bought it, that was in 1992 I've been using it ever since, as far as dragging it over rocks goes...could'nt tell you, I don't fish around rocks, I can tell you that if you are fishing with down riggers or deep, mono line cant touch the performance of Tuff Line, I do know that 50 lb Tuff Line brought up, while still anchored, a 11 ft + sturgon!! and we yarded on it HARD, I'm sold on it!

[ 08-27-2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: COLES DAD ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Shoule have also tested by slacking the line, then dropping the weight on it. You would probably have found that the pure spectra broke long before the black and white.

I have had 50lb spectra break while fighting summer steelhead when they ran toward the beach, slacking the line, then turned out into the river suddenly bringing the line tight. Never had this problem with the black and white.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Crabbait..that senerio is interesting...the guy didn't drop the weight on either, my guess is he would probably say something to me to the effect of "you are suppossed to keep pressure on the fish if you expect to eat tonight" now we both know sometimes slack just happens..however, I can tell you this...while fishing all of Northern Washington and the Pacific side of Vancouver Island, I have had a number of fish turn on me and then slam hard you know what I'm talking about but these were mid 30s to mid 40 lb hogs..the wild ones in the blue water and I never had a line failure with Spectra..or with the old black and white Tuff Line I fish with a old noodle rod with fairly loose drag maybe that had something to do with me having good success????

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
This was with the Tuff green which seems to have gone by the wayside. I have used the Tuff plus 80lb for sturgeon with no problem but never had a slack line on them. Black and white has done me good so I have no reason to change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts