IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuff Line -----Mono ---Not together

Went steelhead fishing and I was useing tuff line and the guy next to me was useing Mono, and he said if your line cross with mine you well cut my gear off.
I was surprised to see that it did, and he was
"P-O"
Well I went down stream untell he cool off.
I did'nt know this, has anyone seen this happen??

Thanks RIVER-RAT.

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
Re: Tuff Line -----Mono ---Not together

I have heard it will cut anchor ropes too. Amazing stuff.

He will get over it. If he is smart, he will respool his reel.

Mark and the 8 years and 1 day old dog.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Don't you love it when you are fishing and several people are drift fishing in perfect harmony. The someone moves in and screwes it all up. The you end up spending half your time waiting for him to get out of your drift pattern to cast. Bottom man first then up the chain. Pretty simple. :hoboy:

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts

I fish powerpro on my drift rod and was just hoping to cross some idiot this fall for silvers. Never happened. Darn.

Yeah, from what I've heard, superbraids cut through mono like butter. Too bad for the mono guys, huh?

K

·
0 Posts

Tuna fishing this year we had an outriger release cut 3/4 the way through by 4 hard pulls with 65lb Power Rro. It will cut. I don't like handling it on big fish unless I have on good gloves.

[ 11-14-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
803 Posts

River-Rat, It happens alot on the tuna boats. The only time you will SEE :shocked: it happen is when the two lines touch under pressure, like from a fish or snag, and you're down there watching. :grin: :wink: I hear that you can use the stuff to cut pvc pipe too......

·
Registered
220 Posts

We see it all the time up at tanner creek during the summer. Everybody use mono then the ONE guy with tuff-line comes down,goes to the head of the hole,throws half way across the river and drifts into EVERYBODY! talk about a guy who finds a NEW fishing location quickly!
I'm not a fan of tuff line. I've never had a problem with mono so I don't know why they even make the stuff. Enless your into bass fishing in heavy cover I don't think it's neccesary.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts

If everyone knew the drill of drift fishing, this would be TONS easier!
I get so tired of people just chucking their gear in the water when the people downstream aren't even close to the middle of the drift yet!! :hoboy:

-jokester

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

ampersat, you posted so much positve advice on ifish and you had to go screw it up with such a nasty post on this one. I can't see if you've got a half grin on your face or just having a bad day but don't go looking for trouble or trouble will find you is what Hoyt Axton used to sing. I'm betting on a half grin. Sorry guys but casting that close to someone who I don't know first hand is not of interest to me and this is a great example why.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts

This is about courtesy, not fishing line.

We tangled with two different guys on different days while fishing for chinook this summer (hoglines). I use nothing but tuff on these rigs and both of the guys who's fish got into us were using mono. The fish hit and ran sideways before anyone could react. In both cases we dropped slack and came off the anchor to drift with the other guy fighting his fish. Both fish were landed and we did not cut anybody's line off.

Like I said, it is about honoring another persons fish and giving "common" courtesy. If we wanted to, we could easily cut through those guys lines and gone on fishing but it would have been a dishonorable thing to do.

K

·
0 Posts

One thing I noticed about Spectra line during halibut fishing was it floats (duh!!!). If you break off 200-300 feet of it and it comes to the surface it will damage prop shafts and shaft seals :depressed: I started using 10' of 50lb mono on the end of my 65lb Power Pro to keep this from being a problem.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Clackamas Drifter,

I dont think its fare to get on people about crossing up lines..., we dont mean for to happen, ... who cares?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Once maybe. More than that it might be a good idea to step back and take a broader look at who you're fishing with and how everyone else is fishing. Spend a few minutes watching the rythm of the group - it's there - you'll see it.

It's unfortunate but in the heat of a run I've watched guys with your attitude lose their rod and reel, go swimming, have damage done to your vehicle and/or make an unexpected trip to the ER. I've heard of boats getting new holes in them too. Some of these folks get really mean, not like those you meet here on iFish.

Good luck. Myself, I prefer not to fish elbow-to-elbow.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts

Clackamas Drifter,

I see your point and I agree with you. I'm not talking about a tangle every once in awhile. I'm talking about the guy who steps up to the hole, doesn't even give a rat's patootie about the guys next to him, and just casts whenever he feels like it!

I am as courteous as anyone when it comes to people crossing your line and tangling up. I'd even go as far to say that if it's a MAJOR tangle and it looks like it'll take awhile to get out, I'll cut my line and so that the other guy doesn't waste any fishing time and he's right back out there casting away!

However, if the person would watch the pattern and the other fishers, they would realize it's just like Fast Action said...low man first then the rest follow suit. If someone throws out of place, it's no biggie. If they look like they need a little guidance, i'll be the first one to help them out and show them how it's done and explain to them. We were all new at this once! But when they've been taught by myself and other fishers how to do it, they keep throw out of place, and keep tangling up mine and everyone else's lines every 2-3 casts, that starts to get a little annoying having to re-tie!

Just my 2 cents.

-jokester

·
Registered
29 Posts

I dont think its fare to get on people about crossing up lines. We are all out there fishing the same rivers, and we all have the same amount of right to be out there. If I cross someones line, I appologize. If someone crosses my line, I say no problem, dont worry about it. People make mistakes, and things happen that we dont mean for to happen, as long as people are doing their best and being considerate, then who cares? We are all out there to have a good time, not get upset about a crossed line.

·
Registered
220 Posts

I agree! It's a matter of people working together.
When we fish Tanner Creek during summer we play musical rod holders. If you cross a line then just trade places! but there is ALWAYS 1 or 2 who have the attitude "by god I'm not moving! this is MY rod holder!" when you have 25 people fishing the same area that kind of attitude is assinine!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

when i was young my father would take us down to the north fork nehalem fish hatchery to fish on thanksgiving day. one year when i was 14 i was fishing the tail out elbow to elbow with quite a few guys. i knew the routine of down stream first casting, so it wasn't really a problem. everyone makes mistakes, the guys below me and the guys above me made mistakes, but for some reason the guy right next to me on the upstream side didn't like the fact that i was there at all. we got there at 2.00 am and i brought my own rock that morning, and he didn't show up till 3.30 am. well he was being real rude to me that morning saying don't cross my line or i will cut it, and get your **** out of my way. keep in mind, i didn't move. i had fished there many times before and i knew where i wanted to be and i knew he wanted to be in my place. a little while after light, i hooked a chromer silver. the thing is jumping and i am yelling fish on, but the guy next to me refused to reel up, saying i snagged the fish, but my corkie was clearly in his mouth. the guy down stream from me, who was very kind had a net and pulled it out so i could land the fish. the guy downstream told the guy upstream to reel up, but he said no. the guy downstream proceeded to put the net down, take off his coat (keep in mind it is raining like a siv out there that morning), and walk toward the guy who refused to reel up. the guy from my downstream side yelled at the guy saying " i heard how you were talking to the kid all morning, i let you say what you wanted to, but if he loses this fish because of an ***hole like you, you are going to get beaten. the guy proceeded to reel up and leave, all the while guys in the line were cheering.
all this happened while my dad was fishing the big hole below the water fall and he didn't know what was going on. now i didn't agree with the way the guy was treating me from the upstream side, but i was there to fish, so i let it go. the guy from the downstream side hated the guys attitude. that is why he stepped up. since that day, i have run into people just like that with other people, and i have been that guy from the downstream side. i believe that if you know what you are doing, then you should fish where you can and don't worry about crossing lines and such. it happens to everyone and if it hasn't, then they don't fish much with other people. just keep your cool and remember, everyone is there for the same reason, so everyone there has something in common. being a hot head while fishing just tells me that they need a new hobby, and they should leave. some of my best days of fishing have not been the catch, but the people around me. :grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts

It is true that there are people out there that get really angry and try to take some sort of unreasonable course of action due to anger...thats fine with me. I deal with them the same way I deal with anyone else anywhere else when they get angry at me or someone else without cause. I dont worry too much about people getting angry towards me, because it is rare that I will snag someone, it is usually someone end up casting over me. But when it happens, I am polite, because it doesnt bother me. I do however say something if it is someone who if fishing with no reguard to others. ANd I have also unfortunately dealt with the people that think where you are fishing is there at any point in the day, and have had those same guys come and fish on top of you and try to catch your line. Thats why I try to fish where there arnt too many people...beause if there are alot of people, your bound to run into <inconsiderate people>. But if someone gets ticked at me because they want to fish where I am, and I was there first, tough, I deal with them in whatever way necessary. And I also dont stand for it when other people get pushy with other people. If I see someone getting harassed or picked on, I put an end to that really quick.SO lets all just get along and fish.

[ 11-17-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

I love tough line since I changed all my reels to it I've discoversd two things I catch more fish and have cut myself sevral times snugging up the knot I cant emagine using any other line now,and I allways wear gloves when I tie my hooks!

·
Registered
118 Posts

I know this thread was originally about tuff line vs. mono, but it kind of turned into crossing lines. I think it kind of matters what spot your fishing. When I first started fishing for salmon and steelhead, for some reason I started at Tanner Creek (crowded). I managed to tangle up some veteran (not enough lead) who didn't take it too kindly. I got such an earful, I was afraid to fish there anymore. I didn't give up and kept fishing there. It wasn't long before another veteran, who seems to always catch a fish within the first 5 minutes, came down right next to me, and sure enough, he took my line out. I didn't say anything, because this seems to happen occasionally whatever the experience level may be.

Someone that does this on purpose is another story all together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts