IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I lost a salmon due to my tuff line main line breaking 20 feet above my gear. There were no knots in the main tuff line.
Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Only when I had a bad tip guide on my sturgeon rod, or when use my salmon reels for sturgeon fishing and a sturgeon rolls up on the mainline and frays the braid with it’s scutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Braid usually only breaks when there has been some kind of abrasion event. It is great line until it rubs against something serrated or sharp. Or until the wind blows. How old was it?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I haven't had any problems with Tuffline brand. I have reels with Tuffline over 20 years old. I have had that happen with Power Pro on a few reels with line only 3-4 years old so I stay away from it now. Sounds like just bad luck. Any line can have a flaw or imperfection. Maybe you nicked it at some point and didn't realize it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I’m afraid we are all guilty of not paying closer attention to inspecting our lines regularly, and that should include your guides on your rods too. How you store your rods when not fishing can be a problem as well as how you stow them in the boat when running, or not in use. It only takes one sharp edge somewhere to Nick your line.

I’ve seen a lot of guys with their extra poles or the ones they are fishing with in rocket launchers with the flashers blowing in the wind and spinning like a a top at high speed. That is excessive wear and abuse on your rig that could damage your line and wear out your swivels prematurely. I just got rocket launchers on my boat this season, and I like them. But I take my flashers off when running with rods in them, or lay them down.

I’m quite sure everyone has had a line break for no apparent reason at one time or another whether we choose to admit it or not….. the one that always hurts my feelings is having a knot fail…. THAT HURTS….no one to blame but yourself.

Sorry to hear ya lost a fish, but I’ll bet you will be inspecting your line and gear more often now, and watch how you store your gear more carefully. It’s all part of fishing…. Kirk

·
Registered
38,424 Posts
I’ve had it happen twice but it wasn’t the fault of the line. First time was with a springer. One of the guys put my rod too close to the heater and one of the swivels got hot and cooked the line. The second was @ B-10 and I knew there was a bad spot. I’d caught a couple of fish with the ding in the line and figured I could catch one more... Not.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Today I lost a salmon due to my tuff line main line breaking 20 feet above my gear. There were no knots in the main tuff line.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I lost two fish back to back days a little over a month ago due to braid breaking. I thought it was old(New in 2019) but I received several comments on here about twisting from using protrolls. Either way I changed the line out

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are you using steel downrigger cable?? Steel cable will fray spectra - I've lost gear as well. Another reason I went to braid for the downriggers.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Are you running line locks?
A couple friends were suspecting their line locks were causing line failure.
I have not had any issues with mine.
Sometimes ceramic guide inserts can develop hairline fractures that are hard to detect with the naked eye. A buddy found one on his rod. His braided line broke on three Spring Chinook. He had just spooled a reel with fresh braid from Fisherman's. As frustrated as he was he went back to Fisherman's figuring they had a bad Lot of line. The guy's at the reel counter asked him to bring his fishing rod in to them. It was determined one of the ceramic guides had a hairline fracture which only opened up as the blank had a bend in it. They found it as they had a bend in the rod and inspected each guide insert with a Q-Tip.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Definitely check those guides regularly, I had a ceramic tip guide with a hairline crack, couldn't figure out why my braid was breaking off in till I found it,,,gregg

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I have not heard of line locks damaging line, but if you don’t use them, the line twist will certainly make the braid prone to snapping when it’s really loaded up.

The q-tips to check for eye damage is a good trick.

Braided line lasts me a long time. I’m sure that some of my rods have 10 year old braid that’s landed A LOT of fish with zero issues.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It has happened to me. I didnt feel it at first but the 2nd time line parted i removed the line and found a very small scuff on my rod guide i believe it was 3rd down from tip. Took a small chain file to it. Very soft file as to not damage it. Then i had fishermans replace it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This year I reversed my line. Spooled line on a separate reel putting the exposed line on the bottom. Then on a second reel put the exposed line on the top. Then spooled it back on my preferred reel putting the older end on the bottom and the newer line on top. I know. Seems like a lot of messing around but think of all the line on your reel that never see's the light of day or the ware and tear. Might give it a try before you go buy new spool of relatively spendy line.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This year I reversed my line. Spooled line on a separate reel putting the exposed line on the bottom. Then on a second reel put the exposed line on the top. Then spooled it back on my preferred reel putting the older end on the bottom and the newer line on top. I know. Seems like a lot of messing around but think of all the line on your reel that never see's the light of day or the ware and tear. Might give it a try before you go buy new spool of relatively spendy line.
Just get two of the same reel?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts