IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odin and Codfather were offshore CR today in search of tuna. The good news is they found some fish. The bad news is not very many and they are out there a ways. 46:06 x 125:06. Ocean was kinda snotty verses the predictions for the day too. Short steep chop made for a long 5 hours of boat ride and only 4 hours of fishing. Bar was very sloppy this morning too and they did not cross until 7am. Noaa and wetsand missed this one.

Got a salmon report from a buddy of mine to. Zero salmon and he went down to the 46:05 line where we hit them Sunday. Must of chosen a poor path or something.

At any rate, if you are tuna fishing this weekend and have livebait abilities you better spend some time jigging bait up for the tank. Otherwise it may be a long day. Neither boat today had livebait. Ouch.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date Bernie. Hoping for some better reports before the weekend. Will definately be wanting to get some live bait Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Glad to hear they found some fish. Long run when it is bumpy like that. Sounds like some leftover slop from the winds. Sure appreciate the report.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I was out there today also doing a demo ride on the 22' Glacier. We took some salmon gear and fished for an hour or so but found nothing. It was sporty out there for sure. We didn't get out there till after 11am and came back in before 2pm. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Odin not catching fish doesnt deter me from making a run :wink:

Thanks for the report. :cheers:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Count me in!!!! Worst case scenario.... I'll make bait in the am while i'm waiting for the fuel dock to open! We should set some sort of target area up for the boats that are running based off Friday's SST's... what do you think?

Anthony

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the earlier report. I'm still planning on going out Sat. morning.
Will try to make bait Fri. afternoon.
Leaving out of Illwaco at first light. Hopefully with someone along side me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
OK guys like Bernie said it was one snotty day from beginning to end.Started off having to wait for the bar to settle down.Left port at about 620 with Mike, (Barco), Neil and Mark in the dark and fog.Bar was still pretty sloppy.Made it outside to a windy short sloppy ocean.Boy did they ever miss thier prediction on weather.Anyway I ran for a little over 3 hours out to the 125.07 46.07 (blue water) and we started getting into them.Really big fish.Jumpers everywhere you looked.No live bait or we probably could have filled my 27ft boat.Ended up with 14 I think and all of them on Rapalas and traps.Made it back about 6pm.See everyone Sat.with some fresh tuna for our dinner party:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, did I mention Ray had jumpers everywhere?:yay:If conditions hold this could be an all day party. Don't forget to get some livebait.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike, I know Ray said blue Rapala's for sure. I will guess he will say purple traps and blue traps. Just a guess though.

20 knots in that battle barge is moving just right. Gets expensive after that on the fuel card. I usually push at 23 to 25 in my little kicker. May push a little harder Saturday if the conditions allow for it. If not, same-o, same-o.

·
Registered
117 Posts
50 miles is a bit much for me. Looking at the comments made on fish Addict80's post on chloro shot, it looks like green water might extend up to the Astoria canyon, which is half the run. I'm sort of a novice at this, so would appreciatte comments by others. I guess since all the experienced skippers are running out to 125+, that I'm just wishfull thinking, but I have to ask.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mike The blue back with the black bottom on the traps and the blue rapala with the silver bottom.I have found if you jig those rapalas about 25ft behind your prop wash they are killers.I think I hooked up 6-7 fish doing that.Also I think I might run again Fri.Was going to go today again but decided I needed a break after yesterdays beating. Ray

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
50 miles is a bit much for me. Looking at the comments made on fish Addict80's post on chloro shot, it looks like green water might extend up to the Astoria canyon, which is half the run. I'm sort of a novice at this, so would appreciatte comments by others. I guess since all the experienced skippers are running out to 125+, that I'm just wishfull thinking, but I have to ask.

The 125:10 line is 48NM off the south Jetty tips. as a point of reference. The 125 line would be about 7 miles less. On a nice day that trip is nothing. On a snotty day, well, it's a long day.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Codfather,

Sounds like a pretty decent catch for trolling.

Any particular colors working better?

I am running friday and sat if anyone wants a wingman (and they don't mind running out at 19-20 knots, a 12 ton boat does not go too fast).

I probably have an empty seat friday if anyone is interested.

Mike C

Mike -

19-20 knots is right up my alley with my little diesel... i'll run with ya on Saturday. Let's touch base on Friday evening... i should be rolling into town around 7.

Anthony
206-226-7700

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Mike, I stocked up on swimbaits and jig heads yesterday, but might need some more. :confused: Unfortunately, I left my crate of swimbaits in Dave Putnam's boat, which is sitting in his garage in Tacoma while he chases wapiti in Wildoming.:shrug:

How's that impromptu livebait tank coming along? I plan to roll into Ilwaco Friday evening and help make bait for Saturday.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mike I run about 3.7-4.5 trolling.Jigging is just jerking your rapala back and forth.It does work and its a blast when they hit it and realize they are hooked....:dancingman::dancingman:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts