IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Who’s going?
I sure want to but couldn't find anyone that could go. So, I guess my boat is sitting.
Last week we found a bunch of tuna at the 12 over 47. They seemed to be on that 124.47 line
from about the 08 to the 20 line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We went Saturday out of Newport. Ran up just north of the pig and found some blue water at about 62 degrees. Put in and followed a rip west toward Depot Basin. Headed a bit south west and got into some cooler water. Saw no signs and got zero bites, so I headed north toward the corners. We got one near the corners, but couldn't pick up another after circling the area for a bit... Once wet hit the corners, we turned south and decided maybe a halibut spot was a better idea. It wasn't. We picked up two black cod at the mud hole and headed home. Saw more beautiful water than life. It was a weird day, but still better than being on land. Only talked to one other guy out there trying and he came up empty to the south. Water got up over 63 degrees for both of us. They seem to just be gone. Our sonar went out, so i couldn't see if there was any bait. We were alone out there all day. I think every one was going for salmon, but we have enough salmon.

·
Registered
902 Posts
We splashed the boat and picked up ice this afternoon. We went out and dropped crab pots. CG restricted the bar to 22 feet and below so we deedee'd in. We'll be headed northwest tomorrow, stop at the pig and then continue outbound if nothing... Channel 78. Be safe. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Good luck guys!!!
Hope everyone going finds plenty of fish. Looks like it will be the last opportunity for a while.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
45:11 x 125:12 had a lot of fish last week.

·
Registered
902 Posts
11 tuna... We were about 60 miles out. N45 01 W125 16ish. Opening salvo was a triple, a couple doubles and then we scratched up the rest. Left tuna grounds at 6pm. Didnt make it back til 1130pm due to fog. We had to run in on radar only all the way til the dang bridge. Finally was able to see pulling into port.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,568 Posts
Glad to see your report Sean. Did you have to dodge the dredge on the way past the tips?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was dreading it, but no, it wasnt there. Honestly havent seen fog that thick in a long time. I had zero visibility on the bull nose.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,901 Posts
Man, feeling a lot better about skipping Saturday and Tuesday both. Getting more and more the feeling that the fat lady is singing early this year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
11 tuna... We were about 60 miles out. N45 01 W125 16ish. Opening salvo was a triple, a couple doubles and then we scratched up the rest. Left tuna grounds at 6pm. Didnt make it back til 1130pm due to fog. We had to run in on radar only all the way til the dang bridge. Finally was able to see pulling into port.
F that...glad you made it back safe!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Sounds like you had some fun and got some fish(y)(y) AND it sounds like you wont be forgetting the trip. Glad all turned out all right for ya.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work for you guys on Hold Fast. We started by the pig and headed north. Scratch hit 4 big fish in the morning on either side of the twins. Unfortunately only one made it all the way into the boat. Decided to troll NW toward bluer water. Ended up around 70 mi out near the 12/13 before running south then back toward the corners. Nothing. Picked up and reset over the pig for one last hurrah. Nothing. No bites for 7 hours straight. Left the pig at 6pm. Fog wasn’t as bad for us although it was starting to settle in. Radar and a lookout on the fly bridge allowed for 20 Kt cruise. We picked up limits if crab and crossed the bar with just enough light. A huge day on a completely flat ocean but only one fish to take home. A couple boats got fish just north of the pigs back on the 58 -59 line. Beyond that it was a big blue desert.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice work for you guys on Hold Fast. We started by the pig and headed north. Scratch hit 4 big fish in the morning on either side of the twins. Unfortunately only one made it all the way into the boat. Decided to troll NW toward bluer water. Ended up around 70 mi out near the 12/13 before running south then back toward the corners. Nothing. Picked up and reset over the pig for one last hurrah. Nothing. No bites for 7 hours straight. Left the pig at 6pm. Fog wasn’t as bad for us although it was starting to settle in. Radar and a lookout on the fly bridge allowed for 20 Kt cruise. We picked up limits if crab and crossed the bar with just enough light. A huge day on a completely flat ocean but only one fish to take home. A couple boats got fish just north of the pigs back on the 58 -59 line. Beyond that it was a big blue desert.
Thanks, I have to ask what temp were you reading on the pig? and at the corners? We went past the pig and saw temps of around 52*. We proceeded up to the corners and the best we saw was 56*. So we cut due west on the 45 line and the temp rose to 56* but never got better. We ran a long ways on the 45, and at the 125 10'ish we said heck with it and ran NNW again until we saw 58*, birds crashing multiple times and an amazing amount of upwelling... That's where we deployed. We were measuring using our transducer compared next to a laser thermometer... it was frustrating because that was NOT what the sst/chloro sat shots indicated the night before. Not even close....

BTW... we caught 3 fish back to back on the dabo. We caught 6 on dive boards and 2 on inside rods. We had birds on the outside rods for half the day, but no action. We pushed all our gear out the first half of the day, and in on the last half. Zuchinni's clones. The fish were coming up from below and grabbing our toys from under the boat... this is our first year running them, and they flat ******** work.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Seems a little early to be talking last hurrah. Let’s sit tight and see what this south blow does. I don’t stop looking at sat shots off our coast until I know for sure the weather won’t let me make a November run. It’s a sickness.
Have had some fantastic days the last week of October. Water temps always in the upper 50’s then. Just sayin…

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,568 Posts
I'm hoping for one more trip before October swell shuts it down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts