IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sipped the morning coffee I popped up my marine forecast on the ol' work computer (as I sit at work in South Beach comfortably in the tsunami zone). I scroll down to the tides and there it is - an alert of a pacific earthquake, but this time no tsunami expected. Not quite enough coffee yet for me to realize that this news is directly applicable to me - and even worse it is old! Now it has sunk in.

So - how to get tsunami alerts via cell phone text message (SMS):

1 - figure out your SMS "e-mail" address from this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateways

2 - enter the e-mail address on this page: (You will probably want the alerts only and short text)
http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/watcher/tsunamiwatcher.php

example: my phone chirps and vibrates when I get an e-mail sent to [email protected] When I look at the phone the message is already displayed.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Once you get on the Alert system.. The info will get to you before The E-mail.

you will beat the News Reporters, of the event. Big quakes happen allot.

It's nice to know... others will now be alerted.. I can sleep in... and jump to warm IFISH folks.. :grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Once you get on the Alert system.. The info will get to you before The E-mail.

you will beat the News Reporters, of the event. Big quakes happen allot.

It's nice to know... others will now be alerted.. I can sleep in... and jump to warm IFISH folks.. :grin::grin::grin:
Chug, you've done everyone a great favor by posting this information. If this info isn't available in our fishing regs it ought to be!

Many of us occasional visitors to the coast need to be kept aware of the contingency plans and information related to tsunamis - not to be paranoid about, but to be well informed. After all, as we hear so often, it's a question of "when", not "if".

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Chug, you've done everyone a great favor by posting this information. If this info isn't available in our fishing regs it ought to be!

Many of us occasional visitors to the coast need to be kept aware of the contingency plans and information related to tsunamis - not to be paranoid about, but to be well informed. After all, as we hear so often, it's a question of "when", not "if".
Trapper, more then welcome. It's a public service, one on the coast should take the time to notice. Have a Prep Plan to Hit the high ground!!..

IF it happens, human/animal lives will be lost..

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks John! Since my house in Lincoln City is 10 feet elevation it may come in handy someday, hope not too soon.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Thanks for the info. I spend a lot of time at the beach and will use this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts