IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2003 I bought new tires for my Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. The truck is a long bed, crew cab 4x4 with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. I bought the tires at Les Schwab's, and I asked for their best heavy duty ten-ply rated tires. They recommended their Toyo Open Country A/Ts. After 26,000 miles of highway use (lots of it towing my boat), the tires are worn out. Pitiful! :sick:

A friend of mine bought Goodyear Silent Armor tires for his truck at America's Tire. He has over 25,000 miles on these tires, and they still have lots of tread left. They are rated for 50,000 miles and it looks like they may last that long. I've given Les Schwab all of my business for years. I like the fact that just about anywhere you go in the northwest, there is a Les Schwab tire store not too far away - especially when you have a blowout in some remote part of the state and Les Schwab is nearby to take care of the tire problem. But I will probably abandon Les Schwab, at least for truck tires.

Has anyone else tried the Goodyear Silent Armors, or other tires that have lasted and performed well on your truck? :help: To keep within the rules of the AUP, my name is Mike Malone.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Dont you love the chevy 2500 hd duramax??Thats what I have and man that truck is a nice ride....Not to mention the towing....WOW!! OH! anyways....My opinion is the toyo are a softer tire and ware down fast..I personaly like bfg goodrich a/t or m/t....I tried a new tire though a while ago and they are called Mastercraft mud terrains...WOW!!! They are meaty and are a 40,000 mile mud tire...They are a smooth ride and very quite...I have put 15,000 miles on them and have not even noticed a ware in tread...

My opinion.....:grin:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Something else to consider; how often are you rotating the tires? I have found that if I rotate the tires at EVERY oil change, I am getting up to double the amount of mileage on the same tires. Its a little bit more of a hassle, but, with the price of tires for my truck, I will deal with it.

Something to consider.

RF

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true! Best truck I've ever had, hands down! The Duramax with Allison transmission is a dream combination!

Dont you love the chevy 2500 hd duramax??Thats what I have and man that truck is a nice ride....Not to mention the towing....WOW!! OH! anyways....My opinion is the toyo are a softer tire and ware down fast..I personaly like bfg goodrich a/t or m/t....I tried a new tire though a while ago and they are called Mastercraft mud terrains...WOW!!! They are meaty and are a 40,000 mile mud tire...They are a smooth ride and very quite...I have put 15,000 miles on them and have not even noticed a ware in tread...

My opinion.....:grin:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something else to consider; how often are you rotating the tires? I have found that if I rotate the tires at EVERY oil change, I am getting up to double the amount of mileage on the same tires. Its a little bit more of a hassle, but, with the price of tires for my truck, I will deal with it.

Something to consider.

RF
Since the truck is a diesel, I change the oil every 5000 miles, and that's also when I rotate the tires. Rotating the tires on schedule means that they will wear evenly. And they have. All four tires are evenly worn out!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Waterfish,

I have the same truck, same tires, and the same exact problem. I've rotated my tires twice and am about to turn 15K on them. I doubt that I get much more than 25K out of these tires. Are the Silent Armor the ones with Kevlar? If so I have a friend that has them and he loves them. He replaced them a month before I did and they seem to be wearing a lot better than Toyo's. I'll likely go with the Goodyear also. Schwab's will order them, but you will pay more.

JD Hankins

·
Registered
397 Posts
Definitely look at the BFG's. I rotate mine regularly and will probably get 35 to 40k out of them. I think they are cheaper than Toyo's also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For years, I always bought tires that were made by Kelly Springfield. I have always gotten at least 50,000 miles from them and that was with some real abuse.

Les Schwab carries them in some of their truck tires lines. Kelly tires are always marketed under another name such as Wild Country.

Check them out while you are looking for tires. The key question to ask is what company made the tire. If it as a Kelly, it will probably be a great tire.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Toyo M55 wins hands down.
No Contest.
Worth every penny you pay for them.
Do yourself a favor and research them.
Best tires I have ever put on my 93 F350 diesel, and I have gone through alot of tires in 265,000 miles.
I haul heavy trailers, a camper, my boat in lots of different conditions and they have NEVER let me down or gave me second thoughts about my tire choice.

Do a search on this topic. It comes up every six months or so and is usually exhaustively debated.

Mike

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Yep.. burned a bunch of Open Countrys on my Toyota by the time I hit 250K miles. It always has seemed to their tires wears out about 10K short or its warranty - and what do you do.. you get get credit onto your next set.. I still put them on my ford to get E rated tires again after the stock Firestones wore out.

I then put on the BFG tires on my jeep, and was happier with them than the LS tires.

Don't compare OEM tires..tires that come stock, they are nearly always junk and are shredded before the end of their life. But the Firestones on the SD Fords are a good tire but you are buying heavy duty to start with.

gus

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Tires really are such a subjective item. We can't really compare Toyo to Goodyear...

Maybe you are fair to compare Toyo Open Country to Goodyear Silent Armour ON YOUR TRUCK! But that is as far as you should take the comparison.

All this being said, I haven't bought Les Schwab tires for several years now. I think they are overpriced for the quality of the tires they sell.

Research what is the best tire for the duty you expect with YOUR VEHICLE! Then compare tires, not brands.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I still buy from schwabs-- dont forget they sell more than just the toyos. I bought a set of BFG's from them. Id look hard at the M55's if I was you. I'll be putting open countrys on my toyota, but its a lighter rig.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
No Contest.
Best tires I have ever put on my 93 F350 diesel, and I have gone through alot of tires in 265,000 miles.
I haul heavy trailers, a camper, my boat in lots of different conditions and they have NEVER let me down or gave me second thoughts about my tire choice.

Ding,ding,ding,we have a winner!

The Toyo M55s are the also the best tire I've ever ran on a truck. I had them on my '01 2500HD and they wore like iron and had excellent traction.

My friend has the Goodyears on his '94 GM 2500. As far as I'm concerned they suck. I rode with him while hunting last year and I can't tell you how many times he had to put his truck in 4WD to keep moving. I'm talking about really mild off-road conditions. I was very surprised at how little traction they seemed to have.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/16/E on my 2500 duramax and loved them. Great traction, pretty quiet, nice look, nice ride, quiet. Got them buy 3 get one free, less than $900 out the door.

I currently run BFGoodrich A/T on the new dodge diesel and like them so far. These tires have real hard tread and last a long time.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My dad ran a set of the Toyo AT's on his F250, they were bald by 35K and he rotates them as required. I think the AT's compound is just too soft for heavier vehicle's.

My dad swapped to M55's, much better wear and a stiffer sidewall. He should see at least 45K out of the M55's. I bought a set of M55's for my Dodge 3500 last year, so far so good. I tow a 11K 5th wheel and drive a lot on gravel, no flats yet for 10K miles (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
M55's are the way to go. I had mine siped when I bought them and they have worn very well and perform great on wet pavement as well as ice and snow. I have a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel and tow a Seahawk. The tires have made a few trips to Oklahoma and Texas during the summer in very hot weather and did very well on those trips. I don't see much mud here in central Oregon but they do ok in the Tioga unit hunting elk.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Contest.

Do a search on this topic. It comes up every six months or so and is usually exhaustively debated.

Mike
This is the first time I've heard of the Toyo M-55s. Strange that Les Schwabs didn't even mention them when I asked for their best heavy duty truck tires. Maybe they aren't 10-ply rated, or have as high of a load rating as the Toyo Open Country ATs? I will check them out before deciding on something else. :idea:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Toyo M55's are 10 Ply tires. I believe 3 or 4 ply sidewalls.
One thing about them is that they will give you a much stiffer ride.
They do carry my heavy old camper with ease.
I noticed a big difference in handling when I put them on.

They are rated a commercial light truck tire.
They are much tougher tires than the Open Country tires, which are not commercial rated.
Go to Toyo dot com and read about them.
Les Schwab carries them. That's where I bought mine.
I had to ask specifically for them.

They kept pointing me to the Wild Country tires, which in my opinion are to soft to wear well on heavier diesel trucks.
I had Wild Country tires ONCE. At half life I started to get plagued by rock punctures from driving on forest roads.
At 23,000 miles I replaced them.
They still had sufficient tread, but I hated them. They made me worry too much. They were great when brand new though.

Mike Karrol

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Tires really are such a subjective item. We can't really compare Toyo to Goodyear...

Maybe you are fair to compare Toyo Open Country to Goodyear Silent Armour ON YOUR TRUCK! But that is as far as you should take the comparison.
Those of us that have put hundreds of thousands of miles on the tires sure can compare them.

I have Toyo ATs on my 3/4 Dodge currently. They are wearing VERY fast compared to any other tire I've had on there. Less than 10K and they are probably at 60%. I rotate them, keep them correctly aired, and the alignment is spot on.

M55s will probably be the only tire I will buy for it again. Excellent in about every situation, studdable, and they last the longest of any tire I've used. BFG ATs aren't too shabby, but aren't as good in the snow as a snow tire should be (they are rated as such). The Duelers are another tire I've used that I've been happy with.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The M55s are by far the heaviest duty pickup tire Schwabs carries! The size selection isnt the greatest though! Everyone i know who runs them are happy and wouldnt run anything else!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts