IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a travel trailer but I'm looking for something I can use when I'm hauling the boat and the family isn't going. Anyone using one they'd recommend or that I should avoid?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey there...
I used to have and use one, I forget mfg.

But the custome inflatable air matress that exactly fit truck bed was the key to making it !

Mine was a little more of a pain to setup than a regular tent, but not much.

I had an extension "canopy", and that was a really good thing, especially in not so great weather.

the biggest downside is you cant drive anywhere, although I did used to drive up and down Deschutes road near Maupin at 5mph with it up :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have been looking at a topper (canopy) lift system. Lifts you canopy straight up, has tent material sides and tailgate! You set it up then just fold the sides and end material inward and lower canopy! Next time raise canopy and your tent is done. Thats if you already have a canopy. The system is around 2000$. Thats what has kept me from jumping on one. 2 grand buys lots of other goodies!

·
Registered
9,231 Posts
I use to use a REI half dome with fly. It was free standing and 5x7 ft. It fit entirely in the bed of a full size truck. Of course, there was a bit of a indent around the fender wells. You probably thought about it, but you need some type of mattress/foam to deal with ridges of the bed floor.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
A few years ago, during a hunting trip, I had somehow managed to leave my tent frame at home. No worries, I just made my own like a lot of people do with wall tents. Actually wasn’t a bad thing. Less stuff to load and unload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I thought about getting a tent for my truck, but I went with a canopy instead. Much more rigid, versatile, and I can drive with it up.
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
926 Posts
i just got a new truck tent myself....Our Sleeping in the bed of the pick up under a canopy is long gone. This is the only way to fly....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I never really understood the tent attached to the truck or car. Make it hard to use the vehicle while camping. Don’t use an air mattress in the truck bed in cold weather, unless you have something to insulate the mattress from you. You will never good a good sleep, as you will never warm up. For convenience and nice camping, I use to have a Palomino B-800 pop-up slide in camper. Nice sleeping, easy to pop up the top or lower for day use. Now have a full-size cab over which is really nice, but unlike the pop-up would be harder to take to off road sites.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I never really understood the tent attached to the truck or car. Make it hard to use the vehicle while camping. Don’t use an air mattress in the truck bed in cold weather, unless you have something to insulate the mattress from you. You will never good a good sleep, as you will never warm up. For convenience and nice camping, I use to have a Palomino B-800 pop-up slide in camper. Nice sleeping, easy to pop up the top or lower for day use. Now have a full-size cab over which is really nice, but unlike the pop-up would be harder to take to off road sites.
I am normally able to set up camp in a remote enough area that I can walk to and from my hunting areas. Or, bring along an atv to get me to other areas to walk. (I know, I know, not hunting from my truck or atv is ludacris!)

The main reasons I like using a tent in the back of the truck are:

Takes minimal effort to setup and collapse.

I just can’t stand sleeping on the ground anymore, no matter how much padding.

Being off the ground and having solid side walls gives me some sense of security from wolves, cougars, and bears.

My setup was VERY inexpensive. Preferably, I’d like a fiberglass canopy, but I’m not willing to pay $1500-$2000 for one right now.

Now keep in mind I only use this setup for two or three nights max. I do still like roughing it, but if I’m in the woods any longer, I like a nice wall tent or trailer.

As far as the air mattress in cold weather, I have found that an inexpensive “egg crate” foam pad and an extra blanket on top of the mattress to be enough to keep me cozy on cold nights.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
@Roady keep an eye out for those fiberglass canopies. I found mine on CL for 400, not a thing wrong with it. It isn't the same color, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have one for a mid size bed I'd be willing to sell . I had bought it for my 3500 long bed but it as a little to small for my truck. Let me know if interested . Jim

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
@Roady keep an eye out for those fiberglass canopies. I found mine on CL for 400, not a thing wrong with it. It isn't the same color, but oh well.
Yeah, but my generation of Ram trucks are hard to find them for. Whatever possessed them to make the tailgate cap rounded is beyond me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a buddy that has one, I don’t know the brand or the cost. I do know that it is well-built and it will take 45 mile an hour winds, that’s what happened to us last Thanksgiving weekend camping on the coast A big wind over the weekend and rain.. He just bought it and set it up for that trip, he put a bunkbed style cot in it for he and his wife. I’ll call him and get more info and see if he has a pic of it,,,gregg

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Yeah, but my generation of Ram trucks are hard to find them for. Whatever possessed them to make the tailgate cap rounded is beyond me.

Being an ex Ram owner, I can definitely relate.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice truck @Kirkll. I have the same one! 😃
Thanks bro.... I really like it. It Has enough power to pull that glass boat with a camper no problem, GW =11K, but launching a boat with the camper on is a bit dicey on unimproved launch sites. I had to use the 4WD to get out of the Siletz last Sunday. Went to Newport for a couple days of crabbing and hit Chinook Bend on the way home Sunday. Cool place to fish, but the launch is pretty rustic and tight for anything over 18'-20'. trying to get back in to pull the boat out with the current and wind was a bit challenging to say the least.

Most guys unload their camper at their camp site, then launch their boats. My camper is an older model with the old hydraulic jacks. I need to upgrade those jacks before i'll ever try that. These are a bit spooky to use. When i pull it off at home i set it on 55 gallon drums because i dont trust these old jacks.

Most of the time i just use the canopy that came with the truck when i bought it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely thought of that, reading reviews many people said they just unstrap it from their vehicle and set it at their campsite. Planned to get a sheet of rigid foam insulation to put in the bed under the tent to smooth it out and insulate.
Thought about a camper or pop-up but already have a trailer and don't want something else to store and maintain, not to mention the cost difference.

Appreciate all the responses so far!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts