IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
IMHO, a travel trailer would ruin a good hunt if it broke down. I've seen worse roads, and there were trailers in there, but I was happy with a good tent. What I wish I had brought was an atv, some of those roads are miserable in a 1 ton truck.
Do not underestimate the nastiness of the roads! I would say an atv of some kind is almost a necessity. At the very least a soft riding 1/2ton with plenty of clearance and 2 spares. I drove my old 2001 1ton dodge on toyo open countries to the head of oregon canyon once. Miserable couple of hours.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Do not underestimate the nastiness of the roads! I would say an atv of some kind is almost a necessity. At the very least a soft riding 1/2ton with plenty of clearance and 2 spares. I drove my old 2001 1ton dodge on toyo open countries to the head of oregon canyon once. Miserable couple of hours.
[/QUOTE]
How do you think a mountain bike would handle on the roads? An ATV absolutely needed, or could somebody get by base camping and using a mountain bike on the rougher roads?

·
Registered
745 Posts
If biking is your thing it would probably be fine. I'd personally rather spend my energy on hunting instead of transportation.

·
Registered
408 Posts
IMHO, a travel trailer would ruin a good hunt if it broke down. I've seen worse roads, and there were trailers in there, but I was happy with a good tent. What I wish I had brought was an atv, some of those roads are miserable in a 1 ton truck.
This^^
I also got a flat out there with 10 ply all-terrain tires one time, which cost me the better part of a day. PM me if you want more details.

·
Registered
408 Posts
How do you think a mountain bike would handle on the roads? An ATV absolutely needed, or could somebody get by base camping and using a mountain bike on the rougher roads?
You can drive for a long time out there and not get anywhere... I think non motorized transportation would work fine within a localized area, but would also be pretty futile as you primary means of getting around. A UTV would be really nice just for the speed and ease on the rough roads, but not necessary. I have always been able to get where I wanted to go in a pickup, just a little slower and with more wear/tear than I would prefer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can drive for a long time out there and not get anywhere... I think non motorized transportation would work fine within a localized area, but would also be pretty futile as you primary means of getting around. A UTV would be really nice just for the speed and ease on the rough roads, but not necessary. I have always been able to get where I wanted to go in a pickup, just a little slower and with more wear/tear than I would prefer.
This^^
I also got a flat out there with 10 ply all-terrain tires one time, which cost me the better part of a day. PM me if you want more details.
I do plan on using a side by side. By looking at the lack of good roads I’m thinking about just camping out of the utv.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I do plan on using a side by side. By looking at the lack of good roads I’m thinking about just camping out of the utv.
Good plan. A light camp on the UTV would be great. Unless you get some weather.

There are a bunch of nice aspen stands to camp in throughout the unit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kota

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I spent a week and a half hunting out of my UTV Polaris general there, next time im taking my big bore enduro those roads are hard on 4 tires. lots of gas and more than one spare or plugs and a compressor are a must.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I spent a week and a half hunting out of my UTV Polaris general there, next time im taking my big bore enduro those roads are hard on 4 tires. lots of gas and more than one spare or plugs and a compressor are a must.
I have two Generals /pursuit edition ,they came with 30” Rubber pretty solid Tire .But Switched to run flats like these .,they are stiffer but can adjust rebound to compensate for the sidewall .Military uses different run flats seem to be a good choice for Badlands 😳👍🏻🤔

1E42E4CC-F59B-49CA-B9CA-FAD7E87C8974.png

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've hunted and camped on both sides of the unit many times. A trailer, other than a specialized off-road type, would be a liability. The ranchers bring humongous livestock trailers up some of these roads, but at a snails pace. I've usually tent camped or slept under my truck shell, but last year I took a pop up camper. Scratched the hell out of it getting through the tight spots in the aspens and mahogany. You'd have to pre-plan a route carefully to avoid this.

As far as vehicle choice goes, I like having an ATV there, but mainly to avoid wear and tear on the truck, and filling the cab with dust over the course of a week or so. Because so much is wilderness study, there are very few places that an ATV will get you (legally) that a solid 4x4 truck won't. The first several times I hunted there in the 1990s were with an S-10 Blazer and even with its relatively lower ground clearance, the only problem I experienced in getting in and out of places that I wanted to be were with tires. As several have said, this is the big concern here. For a long time now I've been using BFG KO2 load range E 10 plys with zero flats, but I did cut a sidewall into the cord last year and had it replaced when I got home. Prior to that I used to get between one to four flats a year there. DO NOT show up with factory or street tires.

Over on the Oregon Canyon side the boundary to the various WSAs are very poorly marked and it's clear that people drive well past where they should. The BLM has very thin, sporadic patrols, especially with COVID, so a person could trapse all over where they shouldn't and never know better, or they could get caught and fined.

For me a perfect camp would be a good sized tent with some outside shade, in a clearing in the aspen, and an ATV/UTV to get around in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've hunted and camped on both sides of the unit many times. A trailer, other than a specialized off-road type, would be a liability. The ranchers bring humongous livestock trailers up some of these roads, but at a snails pace. I've usually tent camped or slept under my truck shell, but last year I took a pop up camper. Scratched the hell out of it getting through the tight spots in the aspens and mahogany. You'd have to pre-plan a route carefully to avoid this.

As far as vehicle choice goes, I like having an ATV there, but mainly to avoid wear and tear on the truck, and filling the cab with dust over the course of a week or so. Because so much is wilderness study, there are very few places that an ATV will get you (legally) that a sold 4x4 truck won't. The first several times I hunted there in the 1990s were with an S-10 Blazer and even with its relatively lower ground clearance, the only problem I experienced in getting in and out of places that I wanted to be were with tires. As several have said, this is the big concern here. For a long time now I've been using BFG KO2 load range E 10 plys with zero flats, but I did cut a sidewall into the cord last year and had it replaced when I got home. Prior to that I used to get between one to four flats a year there. DO NOT show up with factory or street tires.

Over on the Oregon Canyon side the boundary to the various WSAs are very poorly marked and it's clear that people drive well past where they should. The BLM has very thin, sporadic patrols, especially with COVID, so a person could trapse all over where they shouldn't and never know better, or they could get caught and fined.

For me a perfect camp would be a good sized tent with some outside shade, in a clearing in the aspen, and an ATV/UTV to get around in.
Forgive me for my ignorance but what does WSAs mean. Thank you for the information

21 - 33 of 33 Posts