IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cashing in my points this year on trout creek deer hunt. I know it’s not as good as it used to be, but hoping for a decent hunt. Anybody have any general information (camping locations, is there any roadless areas away from people, expectations, etc.) unit is across the state for me so scouting will be difficult. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
24,011 Posts
Use the search function on ifish. There are years of info

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you draw it please do post your experience here. While there are indeed years of old topics on ifish about that hunt, it's always good to see a fresh perspective with current information on conditions in the unit. As some of us are planning to burn our points on that unit someday as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely update on how the hunt goes. I’ve looked through old posts, I’m just always searching for more information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey would you mind telling how many points you are burning?
Just would like to know with the changes to archery season this year I imagine it might go up by a point or three this year with people cashing in.

thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey would you mind telling how many points you are burning?
Just would like to know with the changes to archery season this year I imagine it might go up by a point or three this year with people cashing in.

thanks
According to Ron's website, 28% of 15pt holders "should" draw 168A this year, and 100% of 16+ pt holders. 100 Series - 2021 Details - oregontags (google.com)

Guys aren't going to pile into Trout Creek rifle tag just because of the changes to make eastern archery units controlled now instead of OTC. The controlled archery change will have zero impact on 168A.....

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I hunted TCM 3 years ago. Got a nice buck. Camped along Little Trout Creek. Hunting center ridge, between little and big trout creeks, from the bottom to the top, would be very lonesome and productive, starting on say, a Tuesday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hunted TCM 3 years ago. Got a nice buck. Camped along Little Trout Creek. Hunting center ridge, between little and big trout creeks, from the bottom to the top, would be very lonesome and productive, starting on say, a Tuesday.
Good information. Thank you. Can you get a travel trailer in there or strictly tent camping?

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree archery deer isn't going to see a drastic change to rifle units. Elk, next year, whole different story.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My brother and I put in with 15 each between the two of us this year. Afraid the point creep is gonna get us and the seed number couldn't have been any worse... good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree archery deer isn't going to see a drastic change to rifle units. Elk, next year, whole different story.
Ya maybe your right someone like myself sitting on a pile of deer points because I applied for rifle controlled hunts and archery hunted OTC units for so long I’ll just use all those points to draw an archery deer tag that I could just buy and hunt last year and I’m sure everyone one else in my shoes will do the same no change at all to rifle units….
The

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ya maybe your right someone like myself sitting on a pile of deer points because I applied for rifle controlled hunts and archery hunted OTC units for so long I’ll just use all those points to draw an archery deer tag that I could just buy and hunt last year and I’m sure everyone one else in my shoes will do the same no change at all to rifle units….
The
Nobody sitting on a pile of points really cares about the archery deer units going controlled. We're all still putting in for the same high-point rifle tags. We'll still hunt our favorite eastern archery deer hunts as second choice. ODFW set the number of tags equal to the same number of OTC tags purchased in prior years. And just like the east slope elk OTC tags that went controlled....there are going to be lots of tags going as second choice.

So no, the high point deer units will not really be impacted by the archery deer tags going OTC.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The
Minimal to no change to the top tier units maybe would be a better choice of words, but I'd bet it's minimal accross the board (because I like to make bold predictions). Could be wrong, time will tell. I don't know very many people that have enough points stacked up, and feel the need to use them. My thought is the majority will be fine not having a deer tag while they chase elk in September. I also don't see many people who have acquired 12 points dumping them on steen's (well maybe this one). Wonder what the chance you can draw deer tags second choice will be? The other key to your statement is "applied" for rifle controlled hunts. You're already in the drawing pool, the odds of you jumping people in trout creek if you have been applying elsewhere in the state is pretty minimal (only a couple units that take more points). Lower tiered units would be the ones that see a creep, and it's my thought they will hold their points to get their tag they've been after. Mainly because they can still hunt in September anyways. Maybe there is a large number of archery deer hunters that rifle elk hunt, but that hasn't been my observation. Phewww, that was long winded, my apologies.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Agreed BarbDeep. With 168A being one of the 5 highest point requirement hunts, any people holding enough points for those are going to keep holding for those. They're not going to burn their 20 points on a new archery controlled unit that could be had with 0 points. So the Op of this thread is safe with 18 points, and will easily draw.

I'm curious to see how 119A and 142A look this year. Those are the units that most guys put in for as second choice rifle tags, and some guys would buy the tags and others wouldn't and would go archery hunt instead. I am curious to see if we see more 2nd choice tags available in 119A and 142A because more guys changed their second choice to one of the archery draws......will be interesting to see the final application data for 119A and 142A.

Sorry for the thread jack Wapati 747, hopefully more folks chime in with recent hunt information on 168A for you. I wish I had more information for you on the hunt. I hope to take a trek over there this summer for scouting for future years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed BarbDeep. With 168A being one of the 5 highest point requirement hunts, any people holding enough points for those are going to keep holding for those. They're not going to burn their 20 points on a new archery controlled unit that could be had with 0 points. So the Op of this thread is safe with 18 points, and will easily draw.

I'm curious to see how 119A and 142A look this year. Those are the units that most guys put in for as second choice rifle tags, and some guys would buy the tags and others wouldn't and would go archery hunt instead. I am curious to see if we see more 2nd choice tags available in 119A and 142A because more guys changed their second choice to one of the archery draws......will be interesting to see the final application data for 119A and 142A.

Sorry for the thread jack Wapati 747, hopefully more folks chime in with recent hunt information on 168A for you. I wish I had more information for you on the hunt. I hope to take a trek over there this summer for scouting for future years.
No problem. I don’t think archery deer draw is going to affect the rifle deer tags much. I do think next year when archery elk goes to draw it might help on the point creep on the harder to draw elk hunts. If someone who hunts general archery every year but puts in for one of the big three & only has 5 points there going to have to make a choice, & if you’re still 20 years away from the good tag most people will give up on it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Good information. Thank you. Can you get a travel trailer in there or strictly tent camping?
IMHO, a travel trailer would ruin a good hunt if it broke down. I've seen worse roads, and there were trailers in there, but I was happy with a good tent. What I wish I had brought was an atv, some of those roads are miserable in a 1 ton truck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I do think eventually the archery will be something different. I’m not sure many people realize if you draw a hunt in a unit in eastern Oregon in archery season that you can’t hunt the general season in Western Oregon the way I’m reading it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts