IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be at Diamond Lake all next week, and I plan on spending a good deal of time out on the water. I just recently bought some trolling gear as was recommended by other ifishers. I'm going to be using rental boats, and although they sport a glorious 5 horse motor, they do not come equipped with downriggers. So my problem is, how can I troll (I have Ford Fenders and Needlefish) my gear without 'em? Any techniques will be well appreciated. Also, if anyone has used other gear at Diamond that works well, let me know.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sparkleboy,

Do a search on Downriggers. A couple long threads on it. I think most were about ocean or river trolling but probably useful.

Brion

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Plenty of added weight and a lot of line. I do it all the time. & Catch fish too!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I use a poor mans downrigger at times. I take my sturgeon setup attach a 32oz ball stick it in one rod holder and attach the downrigger releases to the 80lb tuff line. It works in a pinch.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not real familiar with Diamond but am familiar with no downriggers. Run 2 oz bannana weights at 50-80 pulls and you are fishing pretty deep. Keep your troll speed down (should be easy with a 5 hp) to under 2 mph. Don't be afraid to run shallow either.

A poor man downrigger might answer your needs. Buy a 4 lb cannon ball $8, a mini clip $5, find the thinnest line/twine/rope that you can hand line and you are in business. If you are a big spender you can buy a mini rigger that clamps onto the side of a boat but I think you would be in to it for about $100.

I would probably just use weight and let out a lot of pulls.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I use a Deep Six diving sinker, but given the shallowness of Diamond Lake, a 1/2 oz. banana weight ought to do you just fine.

happybrew

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What exactly is a banana sinker? Who has 'em? Joe's? Sportsman's? Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi SparkleBoy,

The banana weight can be purchased anywhere - Joes, Sportsmans, Bi-mart.

The weight is about 1 1/2" - 2" long, depending on weight, come to a point at both ends with a "fat" belly, and have a small chain/swivel on each end for trolling twist free.

A little hard to explain, but with that I'm sure you'll recognize them.

Good luck fishing :smile:
Fishy

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sparkleboy,

I would go with lead core line on a fly rod. With out three colors out you'll be down 25' to 30' depending on your trolling speed. I've done real good there using a fly rod with supper sink line and using a flat fish on the leader end. There is no mistake when the fish hits that setup.

Gary K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts