IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having fished the Jaws on the Nehalem too many days to count in the last ten years I'd like to offer a few tips for everyone new to fishing there.

1. 90% of the boats trolling will be trolling into the tide ie: pointed seaward on the incoming and pointed up river on the outgoing, They are most likely positioned near the south jetty. These boats are pretty much stationary and arent moving much if at any in relationship to there position on the jetty.

2.Don't long line. Use enough weight to keep your lines close to your boat. This will vary depending on tide exchange. Bigger the tide= bigger weight required. We use 6 to 16 oz's depending on the flow.

3. While trolling into the tide watch the jetty and make sure you arent backing up with the tide into the boats behind you.

4. If possible, move to the center of the bay when trolling with the tide until you find the spot you can safely make your turn into the other boats. You are the boat moving and depending on the tide you may be moving at a pretty good rate of speed.

5. If you DO NEED to troll through the stationary boats along the jetty UNDERSTAND you are the one moving and it should be your responsibllity to avoid the stationary boats versus their responsibility to get out of your way.

6. If someone has a fish on give them the river. Reel up your lines, change your position or whatever else is needed so they can land their fish. Hopefully they will do the same for you when you get your fish on. Although the last week or so has been a hot coho bite it is often times a chinook fishery and those fish take some room.

7. If you get into a nice chinook try to follow it with your boat and stay close to the fish. With all the boat traffic if will let others know where the fish is so they can avoid tangling your fish in their lines. Don't just let the fish get 60 yds out there and hope that everyone will know its coming their direction.

8. This is a relatively small area to fish and sometimes made conciderally smaller by ocean and tide conditions. It takes continual and complete awareness of your surroundings at all times. Combat fishing at its worst, cold war fishing at its best.

9. WATCH OUT FOR THE NORTH SIDE !!!! Even on the best days it can get you in trouble in a hurry.

10. If fishing the outgoing make sure your have plenty of gas, second power source or at the very least a good anchor. You're not very far from some serious trouble if you lose your means of propulsion.

11. Wheeler, Nehalem and above offer just as many fish ( sometimes more ) under much less stressful conditions.

There seems to be lots of new faces out there this year and just thought I'd throw out some suggestions and tactics that are used by most of the folks that have been fishing that area for quite awhile.

Good fishing to everyone.......... Deral

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Thank you so much for the great post.
Fishing the jaws can be very stressful at times.
Especially with new people who don't understand how it's been done for years.
One boat not following one of these rules, or out of line can wreak havoc.

Please be careful out there!
Jen

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
nice post.....nice to have met u on sunday

·
Registered
138 Posts
My experience there was also being in the middle of the pack and having boats on either side of me squeezing me tight. Thank god for neutral!

·
Registered
540 Posts
excellent post.... wish i could have about two more sets of eyes and hands to handle things everytime i get to go their.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I honestly don't know how you guys do it.
Bill put me on there. I had one hand on the tiller, one on the rod, and he asks me if I want a sandwich.
YEAH RIGH! WITH WHAT THIRD HAND?

Jen

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Jennie- I know what you mean, I'm always the one trolling my dad and little brother around. But I wouldn't have it any other way, with planning ahead for what line to take, avoiding other boats, following our fish or getting out of the way of others with fish, and trying to fish as well, the day stays interesting and goes by pretty quick. Do what I do and make them hold the sandwich for you, they owe you that much for just being able to lounge around and catch fish.

Great post CptCatchem, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
CaptCatchem, well said! There is just a fraction of the the boats you will see at B10 there, but the stress factor is just as bad. Not to mention crab pots freakin everywhere!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Perfect post-These are things to live by for fishing the bay mouths and a lot of what you said incumpases a some of my pet peeves.

Using enough weight is one of them. Ya gotta keep the gear under the boat. And trolling the same direction as everyone else. Some people just don't pay attention to what others are doing.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Excellent information! i use to troll there alot when i was a kid with my dad and there were mabey 20 boats on a busy day. The last few years i have been there i feel like i'm fishing in a parking lot. makes me real nervous to be surrounded by boats 5 feet away. I will usually bow out and go upstream and fish a more relaxing venue.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the great information. I have never fished the jaws and don't know if I will. I have been fishing the Astoria show the last few weeks but wanted to make a trip down to Wheeler. Thought about the jaws but I think I will fish up river. Can you give any tips on that fishery? How far down from Wheeler do you go? Between the jaws and Wheeler is there any good fishing? My son and two young grandsons are coming in from Texas in a few weeks and I thought Wheeler would be a relaxing place to fish. If I put in at Wheeler and want to do some crabbing how far down do I need to go to put out the pots? Any info will be appreciated. I'll be there on Sept.7,8,9. Is this a good time for that area?

·
Registered
32 Posts
captcatchem
Thanks You for The VERY USEFUL advice. I only get to come down there once in a while . This is the best advice that i seen on how and what to do Thank You Very Much!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW thanks for all the positive feedback, was almost afraid to open the thread when I saw the number of responses for fear I'd stepped on someones toes. Great to see they were positive ones. Sure I have talked to, or at least seen most of you out there over the years.

Good to meet you too Husker :smile:

Rags... Heres what I know about wheeler area. There is a launch there in town but heard, dont actually know, that there has been a change in the parking situation there that doesnt help with finding a place to park the rig n trailer this year. Like I said not really sure but I'll bet someone on here will know.
Theres also a nice launch up river a mile or so at the hwy 101 bridge.
The channel in wheeler is on the wheeler side of the river and most people fish it downriver to Paradise Cove marina or at least Karrs Dock then back again through wheeler. The channel above wheeler switches sides of the river and continues on that side all the way to Nehalem.
Its all nice water to fish, especially with kids as its smooth, not nearly the current thus much less weight needed, and gives one much more time to help them out when needed.
I dont really know much about the crabbing questions but again I bet theres lots of folks who can clue you in.
Hope this helps and yes that should be a great time of year get them into a fish.
Thanks again gang and I'll see you out there.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Also,if you put in at the 101 bridge, use the right side of the ramp if you can. There is a drop off on the left side. It will take 4 wheel drive to get out of it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I got to go once this year and had never been to the jaws before then. Friends told me a lot of what you shared and I picked up a few more good suggestions from your list. I try to avoid weekends which also helps. Thanks for the tips from everyone. Sad thing is there's a lot of boats out there that aren't "ifishers" so they won't read CptCatchem's list. :depressed:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Stupendous

I'm glad there's members on this board that are willing to take the time and effort to put together a great post like this.

Two thumbs up :cheers:

Bobby

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Really good advice for everyone :cheers:

The jaws were extra rough today... be careful out there if you go! :cool:

·
Registered
400 Posts
check the bouy reports
if there is a 5 foot or better swell at the columbia river bouy the bar will be extreemly rough and not worth the effort
myself i dont go near the bar on an out going tide
three boats have gone down this year already.
bring your bobber gear on these days and go up river.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
great post, i read it this morning before we headed over there. We fished out by the jaws from low slack, through the incoming and into the high slack. i must admit, we didn't do so hot, had one drive-by and that was about it. Saw about 4-5 fish caught around us between 3-6 oclock tonight. Saw one "ifisher" with a fish! nice job, to whomever has the sylvan ( i think) boat. Anyway, yeah, luck wasn't on our side. we were trolling blue-label herring behind a splitter. Yeah, the jaws were a bit rough out there, but we managed to stick with the rest of the 'herd'. Only about 13 boats today, then peeled down to about 5 by 4 oclock.
Went to Tillamook Bait Co. and met Marie. Very nice and very informative! Great person to talk to! We decided to go there instead of the 'other' places to purchase some herring due to the fact that they ARE a sponser of ifish, and all of their posts have been great to read. Thanks again for all your help, in the future it'll help me out =)

Sublime

1 - 20 of 23 Posts