IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some help here. I need to learn about something many of you seem to have learned about a long time ago. Being fairly new to salmon fishing in the CR I'll not go to hard on myself. Here's the query, how much line is to much to let out behind the boat before you start losing your depth? i.e. when I troll I like to put my bait or plug a long way behind the boat. I figure its best to be away from the sound of the motor. The fish seem more wary than in big blue, where they may hit right below the boat. The problem is that my bait or plug starts to rise at a certain point. I would hate to stop going back the 40 or 60 pulls, since I get so many hookups in comparison to others that fish close to the boat. It could be a combination of other factors, but I would really appreciate any input on this subject. Thanx. Luke

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Lucky Luke,

I'll take a stab at it though remember you're getting advice from another rookie.

You don't want to be out so far trolling. Try 8-16 pulls about 16-32 feet.

Use more weight and control your trolling speed to keep the line at a fairly straight angle, maybe 45 degrees, so your lure is 8-16 feet down.

You can let out a bit more line to get down to 16-24 feet.

Having said that, in shallower water, 30 feet and up, I've had good luck bouncing off the bottom.

Ideal combo is probably 30 feet and under in bottom depth and bouncing off the bottom. Don't bounce if trolling in the rod holder, crank it up just a turn or two to keep it right off the bottom.

Look over the messages as I'm just repeating what the more experienced fisherfolk have posted here.

Brion

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you are trolling an area with few other fisherman the long line may be better BUT if it is very crowded one reason for keeping everything tight to the boat (45 degree line angle like Brion said) is to avoid tangles with other boats in tight quarters.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the advice Brion & gr8waves. I do take care to reel in closer to the boat when other boats are in the area or I simply don't troll near them. I don't want to create a mess or have someone elses fish tangle in my long line. Thanx again. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
longer line is nice without traffic only, otherwise heachaches. Not too long, remember line stretchs and strikes can be lost. Kind of depends on lure action and weight. Fish don't seem to be too spooked being closer, especially if water is on the deep side. For deep water, you can almost be right below. bouncing off the bottom can be just the ticket sometimes. I agree with what lutz says too. Keep an eye on thedepth finder too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts