IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how you guys (& gals) troll your herring in the Willamette?

Do you use whole herring or plug cut?

Do you use diver or a spreader with lead?

Do you run anything with the herring? ( Flasher, Spin Glow, ect.)

Big Dog

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have had good success trolling whole herring. I use either a sliding lead or spreader with a 6 foot 25# mono leader with a bead chain in the middle. I cure my herring blue using a couple handfuls of rock salt, blue food color and plain old tap water in a quaRT jar. We call 'em "Smurfs". The jar works good. You can just throw it in the freezer and your herring stay good for the next trip or two.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi GutZ,

How much water do you put in the jar?

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I believe cut plug and whole herring will work just fine. On the cut plug, try a silver roll and a chinook roll and see which one they hit. I think different days they will like one more than the other. I use a 3 hook set up on whole with the top two sliding and the very top one a #4 just to hold the mouth closed with a slight bend. You can try a spin glo just above that or a spinner blade. If you put it in front of em I think they'll hit it. I use a slider for my dropper above a six bead chain and then run about 2 foot of leader to a 4 bead chain and then my 5' leader to my herring. Good Luck. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.