IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trolling the Sellwood area tonight, We had a rod go down and fish on!!! :shocked: Put up a great fight felt pretty big. Standing there all excited with net in hand and what pops up to the surface?? A Sturgeon :shrug: , About 38" in lenth. Dangit
. Anyone else ever had this happen.

[ 04-09-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Corkie Monster ]

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I've actually caught 2 Sturgeon over the years fishing for Salmon. One was back-bouncing a prawn in the Garbage Hole, and the other was back-trolling a diver and sand shrimp up near the falls. Neither were keepers, but it was a surprise both times. :shrug:

·
Registered
366 Posts
CM,

Wierd story :shocked: . I was at Sellwood yesterday, and a boy (10-12) hooked up. He was with his dad, everyone was cheering him on. He fought the fish well. They floated down below the bridge to net the fish. Later I asked him if he got to keep the fish, cause I was gonna take his picture and post it on the web for him :cheers: . They told me it was a sturgeon!!! :shrug:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Several years ago I was bouncing a prawn after work on the ledge at Sellwood when I had a big takedown. Really big! Fish on, yelled me!

I set the hook hard and fought what was surely a good salmon for about 20 seconds when suddenly things went more to dead weight than sreaming reel. What the heck?

Upon getting my hooks to the surface what did we see? It was the BIGGEST CARP I have ever seen! The thing easily went 15 pounds or so!

I was fishing with Dick I, who decided to immediately dispatch the bait eating offender with the "eyes upper". When he smacked it (hard), it spewed blood over the boat, and more disgustingly, my face!

The large surrounding boat crowd gufawed like crazy at my plight. I had to bite my tounge to keep from using Dick I's sweatshirt to wipe up the bottom of the sled...

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
We've caught several shakers and a few keepers on prawns or eggs backbounced, or Kwikfish and even a 58 incher on a trolled herring. We've also landed two oversize on Kwikfish.

I caught about a 15 pound carp too, in OC on a prawn.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Last year after a hard morning of fishing and not much action I got a little blinky eyed and went up to the golf course and put out a prawn.after a good cat nap i wake to a click,click,click. 48". seeing that my luck was changing I tossed out agean boom 53".Biggest to date and one heck of a salmon fishing trip.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Two years ago, fishing smelt for sturgeon in 65 feet of water we had a rod go down. We thought it was yet another shaker so the rod went to the 8 year old kid fishing with us. He seemed to be having trouble controlling the fish, but we wrote it off to his age...until the fish got to the surface! It turned out to be a 28 pound chinook!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I hooked sturgeon on bobber and eggs while i was picking out a bird nest in the reel and i did land it. It was 58" and it was the first sturgeon i'd every caught it was the best fight.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about when I hooked into a Steelhead in the lower Clack this year. It put up a pretty good fight I must say. I went to land it and it was a flat rock about the size of a dinner plate :shrug: If it were'nt for my hooks beeing so sharp I probably would have lost it. :grin: Seemed there was enought current there to spin and flip the rock to make it feel like a fish.

:grin: CM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts