IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried them all NEED SOME INPUT

For over 25 years I have used Trileen line, have caught many fish, but this year I have lost a fair share of fish, line breaks, setting hook breaks,
The people in the know are on this web site,
I NEED SOME HELP...

I AM THINKING GOING TO MAXIMA

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE??????

CAMILLION OR ULTRAGREEN IN THE 20 POUND RANGE??
FISHING FOR SPRINGERS/STEELHEADS

NOW YOU KNOW I NEED HELP CANT SPELL.
THANKS FISHEN BUDDIES. Mr. A

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Re: Tried them all NEED SOME INPUT

The Ultra is less visible, takes a knot better (easier without kinking).

The Chameleon is a little "harder", more abrasion resistant.

In either case, make sure the knot cinches tight without abrading the line. Wet before tightening. If the line has abrasions or kinks, cut off and retie. The little bit of time and line you "waste" are not worth the chance of losing a big fish.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I have been using Berkley Big Game for the last few years and really like this line. I have had no problems with breakage. I run 20lb. main line when fishing for Springers out of my Driftboat. For leaders I like to use Maxima Ultra green.

[ 05-20-2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Wog ]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

I use 20 pound Ultragreen for everything, well except panfish. Even use it for sturgeon, get away with less weight as opposed to 30 or more test and have never had a break off. But i have had a hook break in half.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts

Once you go Max, you never go back.

If you are busting 20# Trilene on steelies, please tell me where you are fishing!

Ultragreen is usually pretty close to being the right answer. Chameleon is super tough( great leaders) but is considerably stiffer than all others mentioned.

The pink stuff is much easier to follow during presentations. But I can only find it at Cabelas.

I used to fish a lot of Trilene 14 main and 12 leaders for steelies. I dropped to 12 max main and 10 leaders and break off less than I used to with the Berkley stuff.

Not trying to smack trilene around, but Maxima is in a different league.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

Try one spool of Yo-Zuri Hybrid line, in smoke. You won't let it go. Landed 74 Springers this season and over 300 steelhead in the last 2 seasons! Plus it looks cool in your reel. :cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts

ultra green. 8# test 30# nook in boat last fall. others on ifish to vouge for that also.

but for were you have been fishing. I would and have used 20# ug, up to 25#.

for steelies, no more that 12#, i use 8# main with good success. currently using 12# for springers on the zipperlip. :laugh: but this is a post on fishing line so that is for another story.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks guys for the info tomorrow all the reels well be changed to MAXMA ULTRAGREEN

I KNOW I CAN COUNT ON INFO FROM A BUNCH OF PRO HERE ON IFISH.

THANK YOU ALL, NOW MORE FISH IN THE FREEZER.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

Heck With Mono, go with tuff Line!! :grin: Berkely Big Game has treated me well. I did some testing for a research project of different lines and it seems like Berkeley underrats their lines. 10lb was breaking at like 14lb where the other brands were closer to what they stated. Berkeley had a larger diameter for the strength as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts

Once used to say I'll never use that tuff line, well, I've been starting to like that tuff line, fire line, spider line. Good line. Last forever. Still wont use it drift fishing though. But for boat fishing, can't go wrong!

For my drift fishing, big game all the way!

[ 05-20-2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: KingFisher85 ]

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

I personally like ANDE line.. Cheap and works great.. and stretches like you won't believe!!!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

Originally posted by salmonking:
:shrug: Wheres all the votes for Stren? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I've read some posts really bashing Stren line, and to be honest, I personally cannot understand why. I have been using Stren line my entire life, and have caught a lot of fish. I've broken a few off, and had a few knot problems, but nothing I would deem out of the ordinary. This last weekend my dad and I had three setups with new Maxima (or Trilene, I'm not sure which...) and one with Stren. We were trying out the new line based on the recommendation of others. First of all, our knots were not sticking with the new line, and second, we got some nasty loops on our reels. I had the only reel with Stren, and hooked and landed two steelhead with no problems. No fish with the other line. My vote goes to Stren. In my opinion, they make a good product. I'm staying with what works. Don't know exaclty what other people have experienced to give it such a bad reputation.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Fish a few glacial rivers up here that are nothing but round rocks, major snaggy.
Got tired of loosing gear drit fishing. Switched to Tuff-Line. I can move boulders now!! :grin:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

I have used Maxima Crystal Ivroy for main line on my boat reel for trolling and anchoring. I have never had it break. I like it. I use the green for everything else.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts