IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pete do you or anyone else know much about the Tribal nets. From the sounds of it the commercial nets will be out in a couple few weeks. But last year I would say over 50 % of my 38 tagged salmon had net marks. That’s not counting the fish that I handed off to my son or wife or the ones they caught on their own. To me that’s a big percentage. :eek: And where I fish I usually don’t even start until mid to late April. Do the Tribal nets really come into contact with that many fish? Does any one know how many fish they take? :shrug:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Bendman, In answer to your response, tribal fisheries continues at almost constant pace from the time ceremonial permits are issued when springers first start appearing.

Ceremonial nets are used for just that, ceremonial purposes and all fish must be accounted for.

They also have subsistence permits where individual tribal members may fish for their own use.

Then they have a commercial season which is set by agreement with the tribes and the states.

We used to see hundreds of fish brought in by anglers with "net marks". Many of these marks were just that, marks left by swimming fish coming into contact with objects on their journey. The thing to remember is fish do not ususally get out of a net once they are in it. True some do bounce off and get mometarily tangled but that is the exception. Often the angler would net a fish and keep it in the net after bonking it and bleeding it. A landing net will leave net marks on a fish. Although not the circumferential marks aound the body like a gill net leaves.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your post C hook. I often see marks (not net marks) on many fish from their journey. But the marks that I'm talking about are as you say "circunferential marks around tha body". I should mention that where i fish the springers are on average 13 to 15 lbs. could small ones like that get through? I catch fish up to a little over 20 lbs in the spring but's that unusual where I fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts